Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9-11: A New Perspective

Like nearly all of us, I remember exactly where I was on September 11, 2001. I remember in vivid detail the scene playing out live on the television in front of me. I remember thinking "Is this for real?" and then wondering what I should be doing. I remember calling Dan to see if he had heard, and I remember debating whether or not to go pick Zachary up from school. I remember all of it.
Now... all these years later, I think about it differently. I think about the families of the people involved. I think about the horror of not knowing if they were ok, and the absolute heartbreak of finding out that so many didn't make it. But I especially think about the parents who lost children that day...
When it happened, my heart broke for them. I couldn't imagine the pain that they felt. But now... I can. I know how they felt to reach out for a child that was no longer there. I know how their souls shattered into a million pieces, never to fit together the same way again. I understand that inescapable sorrow and agony that comes with hearing the news that your child is gone forever. I know, and my heart breaks anew.
I also know that while the rest of the world talked terrorism and war, they heard nothing but the sounds of their universe falling apart around them. While we listened for the roar of engines in the sky, they yearned for the sound of a child's laugh... just one more time.
The world suffered a tragedy that day, that much is true. But the families who lost loved ones, they suffered so much more.
While we may remember today, they are reliving it each and every day. While we share photos of burning towers on our facebook walls and twitter feeds, they are clutching photos of their sons and daughters, and wishing for just one more day. One more smile. One more I love you...
Yes, today is a national day of remembrance for all of us, and we should share our stories, thank the heroes, and pray it never happens again. But I also think we need to remember that this is a terrible, awful anniversary for so, so many, and we need to be respectful of that. We need to remember that the victims were someone's child, spouse, parent, or friend. Not just a number.
So take a moment today, and go to this link [Names of the victims] to acknowledge that. Then go home and kiss your spouse, and hug your children tight, and tell them how much you love them. And be grateful that you still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment