Friday, April 5, 2013

Busy, Busy...

How often do you hear people say things like "I'm just too busy." or "Things have just been crazy busy lately!" or "I WISH I had time to do that, but I'm so busy all the time."? I hear it A LOT!
Busy, busy, busy... Sometimes I think that people just like to say that they are busy, when really, they aren't. I know a lot of people with A LOT of time on their hands, but if you ask them, they are just SO busy they barely have time to eat or sleep. What's up with that? Don't get me wrong, I think some folks really are busy. They work long hours, have multiple jobs, etc. But a vast majority of the people who THINK they are so busy, really aren't. So why say it? Is it an excuse to get out of doing something you don't want to do? Does it make you feel special or important? 
I myself am rarely busy. Sure, sometimes I have plans, or am currently doing something, but I am hardly ever truly "busy". Even when I worked two jobs, raised a son, maintained a spotless home, made time for my husband and loved ones, I still didn't consider myself busy. I often had things going on, sure, but I still made time for things I needed and wanted to do. I think that is the biggest problem people have. They often think they are busy, when in reality, they just don't manage their time well. Most people have a set work schedule. And if you have kids, they generally get out of school at the same time every day. And if they have activities, those often have a predetermined schedule as well. So... that means that if there are other things you need to do, (clean, eat, exercise, have sex, etc.) you must fit those in during the remaining hours. Makes sense, right? Yet people still seem to struggle with it. I know it can be challenging at times, life happens, and things don't always go as planned. But for the most part, it can be done. 
I often ask people who say they are busy a lot how much TV they watch. Or how much time a day they spend online. If people are honest, they realize a great deal of time is wasted doing a whole lot of nothing. "Oh my house is a disaster, I just haven't had time to clean! But can you believe what happened on The Bachelor? " Ummm.... really?? If you have time to watch useless television, than you have time to keep a house clean. If you've made 50 posts on facebook and pinned 800 things to boards on pinterest, but make your kids eat McDonalds because you didn't have time to cook... you are NOT managing your time well. Sorry, but that is just the truth. 
I think my biggest pet peeve with the "busy epidemic" is when people use it as an excuse to not be good parents, friends, spouses, etc. Children are not small for long. They grow up in the blink of an eye and before you know it, you've missed out on everything. Sitting in front of a TV or computer or staring at a phone should NEVER come before your child. Period. You should never be too busy to spend time with your kids. If you have to miss out on the latest twitter trends, or skip a blog post once in awhile, so be it. If you have your kids scheduled for activities during every free moment, you aren't doing them any favors. Kids need time to run and play, they need time with their siblings and parents to do family stuff. They need to not stare at a clock and feel rushed and hurried. They shouldn't be busy. 
If you and your spouse/partner haven't had sex or alone time in more than a week, and one of you isn't out of town or in a coma, you need to manage your time better. If you don't make time to nurture that relationship, it WILL fall apart. You need to make time for each other, even if it is just a few hours a day after the kids go to bed. Heading to separate rooms to watch TV, etc. will not bring you closer. Your children learn how to have good relationships from watching you, so if they see that you are always "too busy" for each other, they will take that lesson into their future relationships and continue the pattern. 
If every time your friends/loved ones invite you to do something, you are just too busy, eventually they will stop calling. Relationships are a two way street. If you want people to be there for you, then you sure as hell better return the favor. Even if it is just coffee before work, or dinner and drinks once a month. Maybe run your errands together, or join an exercise class with a few friends. Whatever you do, MAKE TIME. Those people will not always be there. Time is not a guarantee, nor is it infinite. 
Busyness is a state of mind. If you convince yourself that you are busy, you will feel busy. If you use your time wisely and manage it well, you will be surprised at how much you really have. If you put important things and people first, the rest will fall into place. So the next time you catch yourself saying "I'm just so busy." stop and think... are you truly?


4 comments:

  1. Well said. I think we all fall into that trap sometimes. I read another article about the exact same thing yesterday: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/?smid=fb-share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great article! And so true. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately I'm bad about this and I tend to believe the 65 people I'm responsible for keeping busy are more important than me. I at least get to take a break in the winter, but I need to learn to relax more and have fun with my lovely wife and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this comment. :( You are a great husband and father. Never doubt that. Hugs.

      Delete