Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Parents and Kids: My Rant

Maybe it's because I'm grieving the loss of my only child, or maybe I am just getting cantankerous in my old(er) age, but I am finding myself getting more and more irritated with parents today. 
I know so many women who say they wanted nothing more than to be moms, yet I am constantly hearing them complain about their children. You do realize that being a mom means having kids, right?? These women make babies like it's nothing, and then proceed to act as though those same babies are nothing but an inconvenience. I am forever hearing and seeing comments like "I can't get anything done!" or "These kids are driving me insane!" or my absolute favorite "I just need to get away from my kids." Do you realize how that sounds? Especially to someone who no longer has a child, or to women who, no matter how hard they try, cannot have children. It makes me want to slap people. 
Having children is a privilege. And it is one that is denied to many. If you make the choice to bring a child into this world, you damn well better understand what that choice entails. 
It means you are no longer the center of the universe. It means sleepless nights, messy homes, stress and more. It means that you are putting the comfort and happiness of someone else above your own. It means that no matter how shitty you feel, you still have a responsibility to uphold. It means sacrificing some things. If you are not ready and willing to deal with that, then maybe you shouldn't have kids. I am sick and tired of seeing children mistreated by ignorant and selfish women (and men) who had absolutely no right bringing a life into this world. The ABILITY to have a baby does not automatically equal the RIGHT to do so. 
Raising children is a job. Plain and simple. If you are not willing and able to devote that kind of time and energy to it, then don't. Period. 
Children need structure and stability. They need rules and schedules. They need constant love, attention and support. Notice I said CONSTANT. Not occasional. Not just an hour a day. And not just when you feel like it. We wonder why the world is falling apart at the seams, when the answer is plain and simple. Family values have disappeared. Children are growing up without strong support systems. They are being raised by televisions and computers instead of loving parents. They are being overwhelmed by information that they are far from equipped to deal with. Parents no longer take responsibility for their children. They want to blame schools and music. Where were you when your child needed you? Too busy? 
I'm sick of it. Just sick. I am tired of hearing about all these families on welfare and government aid who just keep making babies. I am sick of seeing the abused and neglected faces of children on the news, whose only crime was being born to ignorant and selfish parents. I am sick of women complaining about how hard it is to stay home and love your children. I am sick of seeing post after post from women about how they only feed their children organic foods and refuse to vaccinate, but they see no problem with sticking that same kid in front of a TV for hours on end instead of spending time with them. I am sick of all the "single mom" shit. You can't make a relationship last more than 3 months, yet you think it's a good idea to have a baby with that person? And then have the nerve to bitch about how you have no choice but to raise that baby alone. No choice?? I think you made your choice. The only one with no choice was the child. And don't get me started on mixed families. You hate kids? Well then maybe don't date/marry someone who has them. It is not the child's fault that they were brought into a bad situation. Of course they love their mom or dad. You have no right to hold that against them. And as a parent, HOW DARE YOU use your child as a weapon against an ex. That is inexcusable and disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourself. YOU made the choice to make a baby with that person. YOU DID. So stop bad mouthing that person to your child. If he/she is such a piece of shit, then you are the idiot for being with them and creating a life with them. By disrespecting that person to your child, you are only causing pain and problems for your son or daughter. And what kind of person does that make you? 
Children are not a toy. They are not here for your amusement and entertainment when and if you feel like "playing house". They are a life. A precious and fragile life. They are innocent souls who YOU are responsible for molding into functioning individuals. If you are not a functional, responsible, loving person, how do you expect to raise one? If you do not give your children the love, attention and support they need from day one, do not be surprised when they become angry, hateful teens or adults. You are setting the example to that child. Are you proud of that example?? 

3 comments:

  1. Well said.. l just pray I don't fall into any of those negative categories. Love ya Bean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not. You are a wonderful dad. Love ya bunches, D. Xoxo

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete