Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Laundry Enigma

If you've ever lived on your own and done your own laundry, you know that it is a never ending job. Just as soon as you empty every hamper, fold the last sock, and put away the final pair of pants, you turn around, and there is more. It's like towels and underwear reproduce in the hamper. I swear, I do not wear four pairs of panties a day, yet somehow within what seems like mere days of washing, drying and folding everything I own, the drawer is empty. Well... not empty. There is always those random skivvies in the very back of the drawer that never, ever get worn. I'm honestly not even sure where they came from in the first place. Are those even mine?? 
Anyway... you get the point. Laundry is an enigma. The number of items worn/used never match the enormous piles in the hampers, on the floor and in a trail, like breadcrumbs, to the laundry room. How does this happen?? Are there little laundry elves that sneak in at night whilst we sleep and wear all of our clothes? Are my towels and linens getting it on in the closet and expecting me to clean up after their linty orgy? And seriously... when did we get so damn many washcloths?! I just don't get it...
I don't mind household chores, I rather enjoy cleaning and organizing for the most part. But laundry is my nemesis. It's my kryptonite. It is the household chore I struggle with the most. There are just so many steps! Gather, separate/sort, pre-treat, wash, dry, fold, put away and repeat. I didn't include ironing, because, well, I'll be honest, I only iron for weddings and funerals. If an extra 15 minutes in the dryer with three fabric softener sheets can't get the wrinkles out, I just wear something else. 
I am the queen of the dryer restart. Not ready to fold just yet? No problem! Yup, that's me. I have no issues getting the clothes from the hamper to the washer, and the washer to the dryer, but after that... well, I start to lose interest. Besides, I kinda like pulling my socks out of a warm dryer and putting them on. And what's better than a fresh, warm towel? Never mind that I had to run dripping and naked to the laundry room to get it. It's WARM! And the dryer is no harder to dig through than a dresser drawer. Am I right? Ok, Ok... I know. It's pathetic. Just fold the crap and put it away. It's a reasonable request, and shouldn't be that hard. BUT IT IS!! It's like the moment I hear the dryer stop, I instantly think of hundreds of things I need to do RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT! Those shoes weren't going to relace themselves, people. 
So what's the solution to this? I think nudists have the right idea. No clothes to wash, and free as the day you were born. But then there would be naked asses on all my furniture. So I'd have to scrub that more often. DAMMIT, there's no winning. And I think I just heard the dryer stop...

2 comments:

  1. To fricken funny... I love it.. almost makes me wanna join a nudist colony or have an orgy in my linen closet. Not sure.. but funny none the less.

    ReplyDelete