Thursday, May 23, 2013

To Marry or Not to Marry...

So, for those of you who know me, you probably know that Dan (my hubs) and I aren't legally married! (Shocking, I know.) 
We've been together for 15 years, and engaged for 14 of those. But we never officially tied the knot. Why? Well... no real reason. We set a date once, and I even bought a dress, but life happened, and it just didn't pan out. I still have the dress, and wouldn't ya know it... it fits me now. (It was previously too big. Thank you, metabolism.) Anywho, we both wear rings, we refer to one another as husband and wife, and we have been happily committed to one another forever. We raised our son together, and for the year we lived in Texas, we were common law. (I'm not sure if we are divorced now or what.) 
But I digress... being legal never really mattered to either of us. We aren't religious, so that wasn't an issue, and we never saw a reason to bring the government (AKA: The Man) into it. But our son (Zachary) always wanted us to do it. Mostly because he thought it would be so much fun. He wanted to help with all of it. Over the years, he and I talked many times about what song we would dance to (we were leaning towards a choreographed routine to "I've Had The Time Of My Life" from Dirty Dancing) what kind of desserts we should have and more. I always planned on making him a big part of his father and I's wedding. After all, it was a joining of more than just the 2 of us. 
Since Zachary's passing, it's become increasingly important to me to make it official. For whatever reason, it meant a lot to him, and I will never forgive myself for not just doing it while he was still here. But I feel obligated to do it now, in his honor. The problem is, weddings aren't cheap, and Dan & I don't often have thousands of extra dollars hiding in our sock drawer. This brings up a serious beef I have.
Why does every company jump to sponsor celebrity events? These people have all the money in the universe, yet they are constantly getting free things. How is that fair? I'd happily allow businesses to sponsor my wedding. Hell, it wouldn't even cost that much. My dream wedding would probably cost less than $5K. I want the ceremony at a lovely park not far from my house, so the main chunk of change would be the reception. And it's not even like I want a ton of people. 150-200 should cover it. (and that's being generous) So I don't get it. Kim Kardashian has a multi million dollar wedding for a marriage that lasts less time than your average bowel movement, but people like Dan & I, who have proved we have a loving, LASTING commitment can't afford a simple wedding. Ridiculous. 
But enough about that... the point is, I feel like it's something we need to do. I want to honor my son, by doing something that he wanted. And I think Dan and I deserve our moment to show our loved ones what we mean to one another. We've certainly been through enough. And yes, we could just go to the courthouse or Vegas and make it legal, but that's never appealed to me. I've been a wife for 15 years, I think it would be nice to be an actual bride for one day. And Zach would've been furious with us if we did that. 
So am I being insane? Should we just continue on the rest of our years together the way we have been? Or should we finally plan to do it right? I mean, who are we kidding, we all know it would be a blast if we did. And... I DO already have the dress...

No comments:

Post a Comment