Thursday, August 1, 2013

The World of Rally

We just recently returned from, what I can only describe as an adventure in West Virginia, where we went to spectate at a stage rally event. I often get asked "What is rally?" and I realize that I have a hard time explaining it. There are several types of rally, from WRC, rally cross (rallyX), Global Rally Cross, Rally America and NASA events, etc. They all share similarities, but they are also different. If you want to know all the details, my best suggestion is Google or YouTube.
If you want to know how I describe rally... keep reading.
Dan and I have been fans of rally for many years. From the earliest videos we saw of Colin McRae, to watching guys like Tanner Foust and Ken Block at the X Games. Rally sucked us in big time. We've always been fans of car racing and any car related event, but this was.... different. It combined not only wicked fast and awesome cars, but driving skill that went far beyond a quarter mile, straight line.
I've told you the story of how we intended on building a car as a family and racing. And how after losing our son, that plan changed. I've also told you how Dan and I have decided to carry on that dream together, in Zach's memory.
Since making that decision, we have taken steps towards it, by slowly building a rally car, entering local rally x events, and volunteering and spectating at stage rallies. We want to learn the ins and outs of rally, and have as much knowledge and experience behind us as possible. Little did we know that these acts would lead to so much more...
From our earliest encounters in the rally world, we quickly learned that this was more than a sport. It was more than cars driving thru dirt, snow, gravel, etc. It was more than turbos, tires and exhaust fumes. It was more than long hauls to remote places, with no sleep. It was a world of its own. Rally is more often than not, a grassroots thing. It's people who work hard, build their own cars, and make sacrifices to do what they do. And they do it for one reason. Because they love it. Plain and simple. And all of that shows the instant you step into this world. The rally world is amazing. It is filled with so many colorful, kind and awesome people. It is a competition, yes. But it is also a family. They help one another out as much as possible, they support each other and they do it without thought. It is just who they are. Every person in rally has a story. Why they do it. What brought them there. Struggles, sacrifices, etc. It is incredible to be a part of.
And it isn't just the drivers, co-drivers and teams. It's even the fans. For example, while down in West Virginia, our car broke down (no, we were not in the rally, this was our daily driver car) and we were literally stranded in the middle of nowhere, with zero cell reception and nothing around for miles. While out spectating, we had started chatting with a couple of guys there, and when they saw our situation, they didn't just offer to help. They insisted. They stood in the pouring rain with us, sat on the edge of the road for what felt like eternity, gave us rides and more. And all of this without a moments hesitation. We ended up spending the weekend hanging out with them and became instant friends. And as crazy as that sounds... it's par for the course in the world of rally. Everyone helps everyone, and these people become instant friends. You may not see them often, and you may live worlds apart. It doesn't matter. There are no strangers in rally. Only friends you haven't made yet. We have only been a part of this world for a short time, and already there are so many people that we've met, that I cannot imagine not having in my life. Their kindness, compassion and friendship have helped us in so many ways.
So what is rally? It's a family. It's a lifestyle. It's... the best. And If you've never experienced it, you really should. Because once you get sucked in... there's no turning back.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this entry.

    My son, Bryc, has a dream of becoming a professional rally driver. As a single mother with no clue about anything car related, he never had much help with living this dream. I have always supported him and encouraged him with all of my heart and I know that one day, even if it's a little late, he will manifest his desires. Reading your description of what rally is just warms my heart. You have given me even more hope that he will be able to live his rally dream.

    I also think it is wonderful that you and your husband have chosen to live the rally dream in honor of your beloved son, Zach. Our children are such precious treasures. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for you and your husband, but I do think you have found the absolute best possible way to cherish him.

    My very best to you and your husband... friends I haven't yet met!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words, Heather. It means a lot to hear. It has been a long road, and though I know there is still a ways to go, I finally feel like our dream could become a reality. I truly believe your son's could come true as well, just tell him to stick with it, and stay strong. I would love to meet you both someday, and maybe one day we can help him along. Until then, he's lucky to have such a loving, supportive mother/cheerleader. Best of luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete