Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tattoos and Opinions

I am amazed at how often I see and hear people make remarks about tattoos. I have had strangers approach me and compliment mine, but I've also had them tell me why I shouldn't have them, how I've ruined my body, or that I'm going to Hell. My general response to any and all comments is a simple thank you. Thank you for the compliment, and thank you for your unsolicited opinion. It works for both. 
I love the compliments. Who doesn't love a nice compliment, right? But the rest just blows my mind. Whatever happened to the "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." approach that we learned as children? Does this not apply as adults? Or maybe just not for body art. I've rarely had a stranger tell me they didn't like my shoes. And if they thought my blouse didn't match my pants, they managed to keep that to themselves. So what is it about tattoos (and piercings) that people just can't keep their mouths shut? 
I certainly wish I knew. Even before I got my first one, I've always found them beautiful. Of course there are some I don't care for. It's art. And art is subjective. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the time, talent and possibly pain that went into creating it. And just like with any art, there are artists who are more gifted than others. I love my nephews drawings, and I'll hang them on my fridge, but I'd rather not adorn my body with them. Some tattoos are terrible. I think we can all agree on that. And yes, some people should spend more time thinking about what they get and where. But as with any personal style, it is just that. Personal. One man's trash is another man's treasure. The same is true with tattoos. What may look like nothing to you, could be that person's memorial tribute to a loved one. Or hold private & sentimental meaning. 
So why do people feel compelled to share their negative feelings on them? Would you walk up to someone who's had plastic surgery and tell them it looks awful and they shouldn't have done that to themselves? Or approach a stranger at the library and tell them their children are very unattractive? No. Those things are considered rude. So why is it not considered rude to do the same to someone with tattoos? 
When you see someone post a pic of their new car, and you don't care for it, do you tell them that? Or do you just say nothing? You probably just say nothing. And when your friend has a baby, and gets stretch marks, do you tell her she has ruined her body? No, you don't. So why would you tell someone with tattoos that? 
Let me just clear the air on something that people who say things about tattooed folks maybe don't know. We know they are permanent. That's kind of the idea. We also know that it changes the way our body looks. So does gaining/losing weight, having a baby, plastic surgery, etc. But people still continue to do those things. We also understand that not everyone will appreciate the art that we choose. But let me share a little secret with you... we don't care. Tattoos are a very personal thing, and they certainly aren't for everyone. But to imply that a body cannot be beautiful with tattoos is like saying the Louvre was better before they added the Mona Lisa. Maybe the architect thought so, but most people would disagree. Times have changed. People are finding new and creative ways to express themselves and their personal style. Tattoos are a part of that. They are a way to carry your thoughts, feelings, memories and more, with you all the time. And like it or not, they ARE art. And yes, someday they may fade and wrinkle. But there are cracks in the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and that is still an unbelievable  masterpiece. 
So the next time you see someone with a tattoo, and want to make a negative remark, keep in mind that what you say isn't going to change the way they feel about it. It is only going to make you look judgmental and rude. 

6 comments:

  1. Well said Teena ! People that say you're going to hell for having tattoo's should re-read the bible because there are many mentions about 'being marked' and its referring to what we now call 'tattoo's' ! =)
    And FYI this part "Or approach a stranger at the library and tell them their children are very unattractive?" made me laugh out loud. I'm bad that way, I know... Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiff! Yeah, I was laughing as I typed that part, too. LOL

      Delete
  2. all the people i love have tattoos, i even got my kids tattooed. #startemyoung LOL. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're "da bomb!!" I'm tatted too and it doesn't make me any smarter or dumber for having them. They each have meanings that are specific for me. My dad is one of those people who doesn't like them and always says something to me about it but alas, with the exception of one sibling, the rest of us have them too. I think it just makes us a little more special! ILY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, doll! Well... we were already special before our tattoos, lol. But I fully agree! ILY2!

      Delete