Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Summertime Memories...

I know it's only March, but here in Michigan it's been more like June these last couple of weeks. I am loving every minute of it. Warm weather means bbq's, sundresses, flip-flops, cold beer, sunshine and just plain fun. It also means summertime memories. Some of my favorite moments have been centered around summer fun.
Growing up, we spent our summers at campgrounds and parks all over the state, and made not just great memories, but life long friends. Too many kids in one tent made for some interesting nights, but Oh the days... From the time our eyes opened til Mom called us back for dinner, we were the living embodiment of summer. Dirty bare feet, sunkissed skin and smiles as big and bright as the sun itself. We swam, we fished, we explored, we played games and we discovered that brothers and sisters can be more than playmates, they can be best friends. No matter what summer activity we were enjoying, we were usually doing it together. From canoe and tubing trips, to bike rides and baseball. My siblings were my teammates, my lifesavers and my closest companions.
As we grew up, our activities may have changed, but we were still doing them together. Maybe not every single day, but more often than not. Over the years, "my friends" and "your friends" have become "our friends" and most of them have been around so long, they feel more like family. I always know that even if I didn't see someone all winter long, as soon as the snow melts, the grass starts getting greener and the bbq grill gets fired up, I'll be seeing them soon. And often. Sometimes it's an impromptu bbq,  an evening bonfire, or a quick game of baseball, frisbee or football. Whatever it is, it's always fun. Our kool-aid mustaches have been replaced with cold beer and we haven't shared a sleeping bag in years, but every time I breath in the smell of fresh cut grass and feel it's coolness beneath my bare feet, I think of those little kids and how grateful I am that even though we've grown up, we've never grown apart.

2 comments: