Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bucket Lists

I've been thinking a lot about life lately, and this always leads to thoughts about Bucket Lists. I know we don't all have a printed, laminated copy in a file somewhere, but we all have that secret list in the back of our minds of all the things we've ever dreamed of doing, learning or seeing. Some are simple, like visiting certain places, some are more complicated, like learning a new language, and some are purely fantasies, like winning the lotto. It doesn't matter what is on it, how long it is, how crazy some of the items may seem, or if you ever complete it. The only thing that matters is that you keep dreaming. That you keep your mind open to the possibility and know that IF the chance comes, you will take it.
Allowing yourself to dream, to fantasize, to believe in the impossible and to hope. That is what Bucket Lists are to me.
Now, I'm not saying you will never do these things, and I hope we all get the opportunity to cross items off of our lists, but I am saying that I hope your list is never complete. Because if you reach a point in your life when you are no longer hoping and dreaming, then you are no longer living. Hope is that spark that keeps us young and vibrant and ALIVE. It's the child inside you that still dreams of being a race car driver and winning the Indy 500. It's the spirit in you that still believes it's possible, even when the world is telling you it isn't.
So maybe we should write them down, and carry them with us. Use them as a reminder that no matter how bad things may look, you can always dream, and that the impossible is possible. Keep a pen with you and keep adding to it, or if you are lucky, crossing things off.
Now I know that I am never going to pose naked in Playboy, but that does not mean that it isn't #12 on my list. And on the off (off, off) chance that I ever get that call from Mr. Hefner, you bet your ass I will be stripping down as I scratch that off my list.
 So call it your Hope List, Dream List or Wish List. Show it to your loved ones, or keep it secret, it's up to you, but make one and keep dreaming, my friends. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment