Thursday, March 13, 2014

Rally Series Day 4: Driver Gary DeMasi (V8 Rally Ranger)

Today's interview is with driver, Gary DeMasi of V8 Rally Ranger. I met Gary at Rally West Virginia 2013, and have been a fan ever since. I really wanted to include Gary in this series, and I'm so glad he agreed to do it.

(Gary with Lee Wildman)
 
Berry Favorite Things: Welcome, Gary. Tell us a little about yourself.
Gary DeMasi: "I am owner/operator of V8 Rally Ranger DeMasi Racing Team. We have been involved with the sport since 2004. We started as volunteer sweep team driver, and worked our way from the back. Heavy, to the front fast sweep, team leader, official, and then "Chief of Sweep". We had volunteered in 60 events in 9 years, enjoying the sport. I have never received an award, but helping the rally drivers, their crew, and care of the cars was its own reward. Making the race happen from the tail end of the field, it was a way to be involved 110%, and I loved it. I always wanted to compete, but I was content. Until one day, after a simple routine surgery, my life would change. Within 2 weeks, I had a CVA stroke on the right side of my brain, causing left side paralysis and other deficits in balance, linguistics, and functionality. But from day one I had a rally to run sweep in 8 days away. It was a sprint, I was the fast sweep, and I had to make it. People don't know what I sacrificed to do that, but it was something I had to do. I found that it was the way to recovery. Something to train for, so I decided to challenge myself to become a competitor, and use the knowledge I had. Use it before I lose it. And so we are here today. Using rally racing as rehabilitative therapy. It is not easy, struggle is still a factor, but I am not one to stop at adversity. So I advocate for my illness, and help others, and race my butt off."
Berry Favorite Things: Who or what was your biggest inspiration in motorsports?
Gary DeMasi: "It was personal. I loved racing and all that did it from a young age, there was no one person. It was the sport in general. The thought of I can do this! My love for go fast, be on the edge of control, and still make it work. Then it was the competition of it. All types of racing inspire me."
BFT: What is your favorite thing about rally?
GD: "I like rally because of the unpredictability. In all forms of racing, there is something that is repetitive, but with rally racing the challenge and changes are all the time. From the course, times, conditions, they all can be different. There is less room for error. Rally racing is not door to door competition as I love, but is the same and more, so it is a time attack on skill."
BFT: What is one thing you wish you could change about rally?
GD: "Cost is the only thing, and I do not see that happening. The other thing is for it to be more popular, so more people could spectate, sponsor, and be involved. Film makers are needed. Find sports commentators, and video it for the masses, with interviews and personalization. This would help. More photographers and videographers."
BFT: What advice would you offer to someone who was interested in getting started in rally? Maybe something you wish you had known earlier.
GD: "I came in this with built hands on experience. So my advice is to find a car you love to drive, one you have fun driving. You will be more competitive if you are enjoying your ride, and more likely to fix, prep, and take care of that ride."
 
(Photo credit: Mike Houston)
 
BFT: With Rally America teaming up with NBC Sports, GRC (Global Rallycross) growing in popularity, and big names like Travis Pastrana back in stage rally, do you think more attention will be beneficial to the sport in America? Or do you think it could have adverse effects?
GD: "WOW, this is a hugely good thing. If they don't focus  only on the big names, but regionals too, since they make up the field, bring the volunteers, and the people, not the big names. They bring fans, not people to help grow the sport at a grassroots level, and that is needed. Awareness is needed on how to get started, not we are the big leagues."
BFT: Name 5 items on your motorsport bucket list.
GD: "I would love to compete in a full season in Rally America's national series, feel like one of the big teams, or enter a race out of the country with my truck. I would love to try an AWD (all wheel drive) car as well."
BFT: What is your favorite rally event you've done and why?
GD: "Rally New York spring event, and now the Empire State Performance Rally, it is tarmac, and I have much history racing this area. After that it's STPR (Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally) this is a spread out full event, with some fun stuff and spectator interaction. Then Sandblast. This reminds me of the beaches of Long Island I used to love to drive on since I was very young."
(Photo credit: Austin K. Webb Photography)
 
BFT: If you had to describe rally in 3 words, what would they be?
GD: "ALL OUT ADRENALINE"
BFT: What is your proudest auto related moment?
GD: "The day I started my 1958 Volkswagen go cart. After 2 years sitting on the ground, covered in plastic and concrete blocks. I disassembled it when I was 11, and reassembled it when I was 13, with no help, and no book. All I replaced was a set of rings after pounding out a piston from the cylinder because the engine was seized. I found a ring set for one piston, and I thought I'd put it back together to see if it would run. It did, and everyone was surprised. I mean really surprised."
Berry Favorite Things: What is your most embarrassing/funny auto related moment?
Gary DeMasi: "I've got a few of those. Rolling the truck, ahh... not so much. But the day after my first rally, the first turn had mud, and I got stuck in it, and had to be swept out, and I DNFed. After all the years of being a sweep, and now a competitor. Blah..."
 
(Photo credit: Jordan Apgar)
 
Thank you to Gary for being so awesome, and taking the time to do this interview! Be sure to take a moment and check out his team on their website V8RallyRanger.com.
Gary also accepts donations to help fellow stroke victims, and if you ever see his truck at an event, be sure to "Give a buck, and sign the truck!"
You can also check him out on facebook and on twitter @V8RallyRanger






1 comment: