Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Rally Series Day 3: Driver Tracey Gardiner (TAG Rally Sport)

It's day three of the Rally Series, and so far I couldn't be happier with the response. I know I am enjoying reading all these great answers, and I hope you are as well. Just a reminder, all participants were asked the same 11 questions, but the responses are as unique as the drivers & co-drivers themselves. I'd also like to add a quick note to help those of you who may not know. In rally, there are many abbreviations for events and more. Here is a quick list of some to keep you up to speed, and the links to each.
*LSPR (Lake Superior Performance Rally)
*STPR (Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally)
*ESPR (Empire State Performance Rally)
*NEFR (New England Forest Rally)
*NASA (NASA Rally Sport)
*RA (Rally America)
*GRC (Global Rallycross)
* DNF (stands for Did Not Finish)
So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce today's interviewee. The lovely Tracey Gardiner of TAG Rally Sport.

Left: Tabitha Lohr (Middle: Jellybean) Right: Tracey Gardiner
(Photo credit: Randy Montgomery/Montgomery Media Productions)
 
Berry Favorite Things: Welcome, Tracey. Tell us a little about yourself.
Tracey Gardiner: "My team is TAG Rally Sport, and we have two cars. A 2005 2.5RS Subaru in Open Light Class (My son Rory now races this one. It was previously mine.) and a 2007 Toyota Yaris in B Spec Class (I run this one.) I have been in rally since 2010. My husband bought me a 4 day Rally Experience at Team O'Neil Rally School, and I fell in love. My first rally was Black River Stages in 2010 with my son Rory as my co-driver. We finished the event without an intercom and towed a team in to the finish so they would not DNF. I have been running Rally America events since 2011. My biggest achievements would be running with all the boys and finishing rallies as a woman driver. There are not that many women drivers in the series. Out of all the rallies I've done, I've only DNFed 3 times. That is a big deal!"
Berry Favorite Things: Tracey has competed in numerous events, and her list of accomplishments is quite impressive. Just to give you an idea, here are a few recent ones:
Second place in B Spec Nationals at Rally in the 100 Acre Wood 2014
Second place in B Spec Nationals at LSPR 2013
First place in B Spec Regionals at LSPR 2013
Second place in B Spec Nationals at NEFR 2013
First place in B Spec Regionals at NEFR 2013
She was also the only woman driver at the Climb to the Clouds, Mount Washington Hillclimb event in June 2011.
Tracey has competed in countless rallies including Rally Mexico, Errol Rally, Sno*Drift Rally, Oregon Trail Rally, and many, many more.
Berry Favorite Things: Who or what was your biggest inspiration in motorsports?
Tracey Gardiner: "Michele Mouton is a very classy lady and a champion driver in the rally world. I can only dream to aspire to that greatness."
BFT: What is your favorite thing about rally?
TG: "I have a few favorite things about rally. First, the diversity of the roads and conditions. You have to be prepared to tackle these challenges. Also, you have to rely on your co-driver to get you through all the stages, so having a good rapport is very important. The rally community! You could not ask for a better group of people. If you need something in service or on stage, there is always someone there to help you out. From the top National teams to the regional competitors. In rally, everyone wants to see you finish! The volunteers at rally make it all happen! They are out there in all kinds of conditions and are there to greet you with a smile on their face! The fans who stand out in the woods to watch us go by one time! They rock!"
BFT: What is one thing you wish you could change about rally?
TG: "One thing I would change about rally would be marketing for the sport, along the lines of NASCAR, and manufacturer backing."
 
(Photo credit: Scott Rains/Rains Photography)
 
 
BFT: What advice would you offer someone who was interested in getting started in rally? Maybe something you wish you had known earlier.
TG: "If you love rally, it is a passion you cannot squelch! That being said, it is also not a cheap sport to get into. Spectate at events, volunteer, get to know how it all works. You can build your own vehicle and do it cost effectively. Start in a class like Open Light or B Spec to get your feet wet and learn. I am always learning at every event. If you can, go to a rally school. Team O'Neil (check them out here) is my favorite."
BFT: With Rally America teaming up with NBC Sports, GRC growing in popularity, and big names like Travis Pastrana back in stage rally, do you think more attention will be beneficial to the sport in America? Or do you think it could have adverse effects?
TG: "Media attention will be good for the sport! When I say to people that I do Stage Rally Racing, the questions are "What is that? What tracks do you run on? Where can we see it?" My answers were, "No tracks, closed dirt and gravel roads. You have to come to an event to see it. YouTube it." Now, I can tell them exactly when they can see it if they can't make it to an event, airing on National TV! Travis Pastrana and Ken Block have great followings, so I do not think it will have adverse effects. If either or both are at an event, that is where the crowd will be waiting for autographs and wanting to meet them. And us!"
BFT: Name 5 items on your motorsport bucket list.
TG: "I met Sebastien Loeb this year at Pikes Peak, that was pretty much one I achieved on my bucket list! I would love to meet Michele Mouton, and ask her loads of questions or just shake her hand. I would love to do Rally Monte Carlo, or a rally in the Alps. We spectated at a rally in Italy, San Martino di Castrozza, and I fell in love with the rally, the cars, and the scenery. I would like to race Pikes Peak. It is an hour or so from where we live in Colorado. I would love to drive a vintage Mini Cooper in a rally in Ireland soon. And to be on the set of Top Gear (UK) and hang with those guys!"
BFT: What is your favorite rally event you've done and why?
TG: "My favorite rally event was Rally in the 100 Acre Wood 2014. I was determined to jump the Yaris on the cattle guard jump. We nailed it! (We also had to try and beat my son Rory and his co-driver Steven Harrell from last year at 100 Acre Wood. A little incentive!)"
 
(Photo credit: Scott Rains/Rains Photography)
 
BFT: If you had to describe rally in 3 words, what would they be?
TG: "Best high ever"
BFT: What is your proudest auto related moment?
TG: "Being the only woman driver invited to the Mount Washington Hillclimb in 2011 and 2014. Finishing in 2011, and being 25 seconds faster on our second run up!"
Berry Favorite Things: What is your most embarrassing/funny auto related moment?
Tracey Gardiner: "Most embarrassing moment. In 2012, my new Subaru got delivered to me about less than an hour before shakedown at NEFR. I did not know the car, and Maureern Hascher and I were getting used to it. When we got to the start of one of the stages, we could not get the passenger side window to go up. We were allowed to run the stage, but not at speed. When we got to the next stage, a fellow Open Light competitor came over and said "Oh, your window lock button is on." We got quite a slagging for that! I was used to a manual window crank in my 2001 Subaru. This was fancy!"
 

(Photo credit: Randy Montgomery)
 
Special thanks to Tracey for taking the time to answer my questions! Look for her in Jellybean at rally events, and give her a big high five!
 
You can also check out TAG Rally Sport on their website. (Follow this link.) 
And give them a like on their facebook page to stay up to date. 
And follow them on Twitter as well: @Tagrallysport1
 












No comments:

Post a Comment