Saturday, March 15, 2014

Rally Series Day 6: Co-Driver Amber Stacy

Because I had so many great responses, I'm extending the Rally Series into a second week. AND MAYBE A THIRD! (Ok, that might be a stretch, but I am really enjoying it, so you just never know.) Anywho... on with the interview. Today's show & tell session is with the sweet and sassy, Amber Stacy.

(Photo credit: William Machin)
Berry Favorite Things: Welcome, Amber. Tell us a little about yourself.
Amber Stacy: "I'm the co-driver for Flying Frog Rallying. Car is a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a new attitude for the 2014 season. 2014 will be my 3rd year as a navigator. STPR (Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally) 2003 was my first event as a spectator, and I was hooked. There are so many achievements, it's difficult to name them all. I came in 2nd place for the NASA Rally Sport Atlantic Rally Cup my first year. While I still needed more practice and had things to work on, I can say 2013 gave me even more experience and helped me gain more confidence."
Berry Favorite Things: Who or what was your biggest inspiration in motorsports?
Amber Stacy: "I think the biggest inspirations are grassroots guys and gals. So much time, money, energy, weekends, and late nights are put into the car and getting to events. There is so much talent and dedication out there. They really don't get the recognition they deserve."
(Photo credit: Jon Kramer)

BFT: What is your favorite thing about rally?
AS: "Do I have to choose one? Anything can happen. You can be prepared, but never prepared enough. A finish is never guaranteed. When you can press on when things happen, it's a wonderful feeling."
BFT: What is one thing you wish you could change about rally?
AS: "I wish the grassroots teams would be acknowledged more. The media and even the Rally America coverage only focus on the big guys. I really think it's great that RA is going to cover two small teams each event this year, but so many are still getting missed. As a spectator, it's frustrating watching fans leave after the first 10 cars go through."
BFT: What advice would you offer to someone who was interested in getting started in rally? Maybe something you wish you had known earlier.
AS: "Do it, you won't regret it. I wish I had jumped in earlier than I did."
BFT: With Rally America teaming up with NBC Sports, GRC (Global Rallycross) growing in popularity, and big names like Travis Pastrana back in stage rally, do you think more attention will be beneficial to the sport in America? Or do you think it could have adverse effects?
AS: "Ah, this is one conversation I don't wish to get involved in. I swing both ways. While I know it would be beneficial, I also think about all the talent that gets overlooked. That just frustrates me."
BFT: Name 5 items on your motorsport bucket list.
AS: "I want to build a Miata to rallycross. I want to get a group of friends together and compete in LeMons. I am looking forward to entering a Hillclimb or two. I would like to spectate and co-drive in the WRC at some point in my life. While it would be over my head, it would be an amazing experience. Can anyone hook me up for a test drive in a 22b?"

(Photo credit: Alex Haugen Photography)


BFT: What is your favorite rally event you've done and why?
AS: "I had wanted to spectate at NEFR (New England Forest Rally) for many years. My driver and I were both on the fence as to which event we wanted to do, since both NEFR and RWV (Rally West Virginia) were on the same weekend. After what seemed like weeks of going back and forth, NEFR it was. This event brought on a couple of tests for our team and crew in dealing with a brake repair after day 1, and strut replacement on day 2. We were able to overcome and the roads were completely amazing. Unfortunately, leaving a minute late our of service cost us 2nd place on day 2. I still wouldn't change anything about that event."
BFT: If you had to describe rally in 3 words, what would they be?
AS: "Rewarding Challenging Teamwork"
BFT: What is your proudest auto related moment?
AS: "RNY (Rally New York) 2012, Alvin and I hit a jump in the EVO. After that stage, we stopped to ensure nothing major was damaged. Of course, the front end was out of whack after taking the hit and we couldn't close the hood, as the hood pins were bent. After realizing we didn't have zip ties in the car, and pacing around trying to figure out what to do, I pulled my hair tie out of my hair, and was able to secure the hood so we could transit back to service. How that hair tie held together with the heat coming off the engine, and weight of the bouncing hood is beyond me."
Berry Favorite Things: What is your most embarrassing/funny auto related moment?
Amber Stacy: "2013 NEFR- I left my helmet and hans sitting on top of the car after we pulled over after a stage. We jumped back in and were stopped almost immediately after. Not knowing the reason why, I was quite relieved and embarrassed when someone handed me my equipment. I don't think I had ever been more thankful in my life that they saw it and stopped us."

(Photo credit: DaggerSLADE Media)

I'd like to offer my sincere appreciation to Amber for taking the time to answer my questions. And for more information on Amber, and the Flying Frog car, be sure to like and follow them on Facebook.





No comments:

Post a Comment