Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Reading Really IS Fundamental

Growing up, reading was more than a hobby for me. I was the youngest of six kids, and for most of my early years, we had foster children in our home as well. Needless to say, things could be chaotic at times, and reading was a way to escape that. When my big brothers didn't want me following them around on their adventures, I found adventures of my own, in books. As the baby of the family, I rarely had any say in what we watched on television, but I could read whatever I wanted. And with so many school aged kids in one house, there was hardly a lack of sufficient reading material.
When I was in middle school & high school, I had to be given a custom list of required reading options, because I had already read everything on their lists years earlier, when my older siblings were bringing them home.
As a teenager, I was always shocked at the lack of reading skills in my peers. Listening to kids read aloud in class was torture to me. How had these kids managed to even make it to high school? I saw many of my incredibly intelligent friends struggle on tests, because their reading and comprehension skills were lacking.
In this day and age of electronic devices and gadgets, reading has taken a back seat. The results of this change will be devastating in the future.
The benefits and long term effects of reading are substantial, and a generation that grows up without them will be a generation that struggles.
Reading is mental exercise, and just like we need physical exercise to keep our bodies strong, we also need to work out our brains to keep them strong as well. Reading uses several different areas of the brain, and helps improve learning capacity, memory, focus, and concentration. And that's just the tip of the iceberg! Studies have shown that reading can have a powerful effect on people who struggle with addictions, attention deficit disorders, and anxiety. Why turn to harmful medications, when you can just pick up a good book?
And don't even get me started on the importance of reading for children!
Children with strong reading skills are proven to do better in school, and are generally more successful in their future careers.
It is NEVER too early to start reading to your child. Babies and young children are wired for learning, and the more you teach them while young, the better off they will be.
Reading builds verbal/language skills, which leads to better communication and a stronger vocabulary.
It improves writing and comprehension as well. Comprehension is crucial to academic performance. The more a child is able to comprehend, the more information they will be able to learn, and in a shorter time. This will benefit them in all aspects of their education and later on in the workplace.
Reading also develops logical and critical thinking skills. It is through these processes that children learn to think through problems, make decisions, and deal with difficult situations.
As a parent, it is your duty to do everything in your power to help put your child on the path to success, and reading is an undeniably important step on that path.
I have practiced this first hand, and have seen the results myself. I taught my son to read before he started school, and I encouraged a passion for books from a young age. Instead of watching TV, we would spend time reading and discussing what we read. Not only was this educational, but it was a wonderful bonding experience that we shared and continued to share, throughout his life.
My son was an incredible student, and excelled academically. His love for reading, and continued practice of it, gave him excellent problem solving skills, and an increased desire to learn. The time we spent talking about books we read, led to an open dialogue throughout his life, and formed a bond of trust and respect that is difficult to have with teenagers and older children.
I myself, have always been a reader, and I credit that to my writing and vocabulary skills, as well as my creative thinking ability, and vivid imagination.
I'm a firm believer in the power of a good book, and I could spend hours and days telling you how much I value reading, and why. There are no cons or negative side effects to reading, yet the list of pros is endless. If you are a parent reading this and think "Well I'm not a good reader, so how can I teach my child to be?" IT IS POSSIBLE, and it is never too late to start. Read with your children, and let them read to you. Not only will their skills grow, but yours will improve as well. Encourage a love of reading by buying books or making regular trips to the library. Don't leave it up to the schools to teach your child to read and love books. Be an advocate, and give them an advantage by making reading part of your daily routine at home as well. Swap out an hour of TV or gadget time for a book. Do this as a family. Everyone pick their favorite spot, get comfortable, and read. What a wonderful way to relax. And don't forget to take a little time afterwards to talk about what you read.
Just like the happy little logo from our youth says... Reading IS Fundamental.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment