Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pet Adoption Woes

I love dogs. I grew up having them, and have been wanting to get one with my hubs for some time now. He is the ultimate animal lover, and I think he definitely needs a furry little buddy.
I have said for years that if/when I was to get another pet (we've previously had cats) that it would have to come from a shelter or rescue. No puppy mills for this girl. But in the past year and a half, I have come to find that many of these places seem to not want to place their animals. For starters, the hoops that you must jump through to give a dog a good home are ridiculous. I understand the need for SOME background, so as not to send an animal into a bad situation, but some of the requirements are just plain absurd.
The last place had a pre application. That's right I said PRE application. Meaning you have to apply and be approved to formally apply. I'm offering a home to a dog, not asking for security clearance at the CIA. Once you get passed that step, you have to do the actual application process. This includes, but is not limited to, a full questionnaire, interviews, home visits, etc. Many of these places expect you to have a minimum amount of property, and upwards of 14 free hours a day to spend with your pet. Now, if you have those things... great. More power to ya. But if you don't, does that make you a bad candidate for a dog? It would seem so to these places.
I live in an apartment. It isn't a tiny, cramped space by any stretch of the imagination. My complex also caters to dogs, and has a Bark Park, walking trails, and more. So no, I don't have 5 acres, and a Westminster Dog Show style play center, but isn't what I'm offering better than the little cage the animal is squeezed into at the moment? Not according to most of the rescues I have looked into.

My hubs and I also both work. So this means we are gone during the day, and doesn't allow us 20 free hours a day with our would be pet. Now, I could potentially take the dog to work with me, and I may do that, but my office doesn't have a pet playground attached, so this may pose a problem still. The benefit to both of us working is that we could afford to actually own and take care of a dog. Apparently this isn't something the rescues and shelters take into consideration. This could explain why so many unemployed, broke people seem to have no problems getting animals. It could also explain why so many animals are there to begin with. But I digress...
Another issue I am finding with these places, is the cost. It should not cost as much to rescue an animal as it does to purchase one from a professional breeder. I understand that these places run on donations and volunteers, but if the whole point is to find loving homes for these animals, maybe making the cost substantially less (or free) would make an impact. Especially considering that the majority of adoptable animals are not babies, and many of them have health issues to be dealt with as well. Thus costing the would be owners even more money up front, on top of the outrageous adoption fees.
I guess what I am getting at, is that if someone comes into a shelter or rescue, and genuinely wants to give an animal a warm, happy, loving home... do these places really have the right to deny them? Isn't their main objective to NOT have animals that need homes? Because I'm starting to feel like maybe their main objective is to keep these animals locked up forever. Or at least until some "perfect" candidate comes along.
Well wake up. There is no such thing as perfect. And animals need companionship. They only want to be loved. They don't care how big your house is, just that they fit in it. They don't care how much money you have, as long as they are fed and taken care of. They don't care if you have to take them on walks to the local park because your yard isn't big enough, as long as they get to run and play somewhere. They don't care about pre applications, endless interviews, and job schedules. If you love them, they will love you. It's just that simple....



No comments:

Post a Comment