Friday, February 28, 2014

The Imaginary Birthday

Today is the last day of February. Sort of... Every four years, there is one extra day in February. This is called a Leap Year.
The year 1976 was one of those years. And on February 29th, my hubs was born. The world rejoiced. This giant 10 pound ball of chunky baby rolls would someday grow into an even bigger, balder, bearded, goofy, snarky, wonderfully weird, amazing man.
Now, I've told you before how much I love birthdays. I think they are extremely important, and should be celebrated to the nines. My hubs on the other hand, thinks birthdays are stupid, especially once you are an adult. For the life of me, I cannot understand this attitude. Well for 16 years, we have had the birthday battle. Me wanting to go big, and him wanting to go home. I think I've finally figured out why..
He has an imaginary birthday. Since his actual, real birthday only comes once every four years, he has to celebrate a faux one all the other years. This would make anyone a birthday hater. While everyone around him gets to celebrate their real, genuine birthdays every year, he doesn't even get to see his on a calendar. Not to mention the constant "Which day do you celebrate?" debate. Do you go for February 28th or March 1st? I say the 28th, since he was technically born on the last day in February, so that would be the 28th on the alternating years. Others say the 1st, since it is the day after the 28th, where his birthday would normally fall. I don't think there is a real solution. We usually end up doing something on both, to please each side of the debate.
Now some may see this as beneficial. You get TWO days worth of birthday love. While this is true, neither one is really HIS day, so I don't think his heart is truly in it, because deep down, he knows that it isn't really the day he was born. Keep in mind, this is just my theory. Since I don't know anyone else with a Leap Year Birthday, I cannot scientifically test this. But since I see no other logical reason for one to not enjoy birthdays, I'm going to assume my Imaginary Birthday Theory is spot on.
My hubs won't get another REAL birthday until 2016. He'll finally reach double digits. The big 1 0. (Yeah, that's right, I'm married to a 9 year old. Suck on that, cradle robbers.) Maybe that year he'll find his inner birthday party animal. A girl can dream, right? Until then, I shall enthusiastically celebrate for the both of us.
Happy Birthday, Daniel. Even if it is just an imaginary one...

 
(My handsome hubs. AKA: The Bald One)

No comments:

Post a Comment