Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Think Spring

I miss warm weather. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of winter in the least. But come February/March, I start feeling near violent in my hatred of this dreaded season. Enough is enough already. And this year has been especially brutal and harsh, so I am BEYOND ready for it to end.
Needless to say, Spring Fever has hit me hard. I'm fantasizing about all the things I've been missing since Jack Frost stopped by for his most unwelcome and extended stay. Here are just a few of the things I miss...
1. Being warm. Seriously, I don't think I've been truly warm in what feels like forever. I'm either chilly, or flat out shivering. Fake warmth just doesn't cut it. I need sun, and I need it now.
2. My feet. I know they exist, because I see them when I shower, but the rest of the time, they are trapped in their cotton prison. I swear I hear them crying...

3. Pretty dresses/clothes. I hate winter attire. Loathe it. In theory (and on TV) you can wear cute cold weather gear, but in reality, we all know that those cute, heeled boots are just asking for a broken ankle. And those tights will only keep you warm enough if you are spending your day in front of a cozy fire, with a hot toddy.
4. Casually walking from car to door. I don't know about you, but I move a lot quicker when it's ass cold outside. I don't leisurely stroll, enjoying the sights. I grab my shit, and damn near run to the next source of heat. Sorry mailman, no time to chat. Talk to you in a few months!
5. Outdoor activities. Camping, walking, playing with my nieces and nephews, etc. Any excuse just to be outside. The feel of grass between my bare feet, sipping on a cold beer, face to the sky.

6. A tan. I'm pale. And I don't mean cute, china doll pale. I mean glow in the dark, you could see my white ass from space, pale. And cosmetics, for all their wondrous magic, can never compete with the rosy glow from good old Mr. Sunshine.

7. Cute shoes. Try as I might (and I have tried) I cannot find winter shoes that even come close to being as fun, funky, and cute as my warm weather ones. There's just something about a strappy wedged sandal that makes any outfit better.

8. Windows down in the car. This is hands down, one of life's simplest pleasures. Windows down, moon roof open, music cranked, cruising along in your car. Even the drive to work is better when you can enjoy it this way.

9. Color. Winter is just so.... white. I don't do white. White is depressing, and sterile. I need color in my life. Greens, reds, oranges, blues, pinks, all of it! It's hard to be sad when you are surrounded by beautiful color.

10. The smells. Lilacs, bonfires, BBQs, race gas, fresh cut grass, and on and on. The fragrances of life, and happiness. The scents that make you close your eyes and inhale deeply just for the pure pleasure of it.

This list could be endless. Winter just can't compare to any other season, yet it seems to always be the longest. Maybe this is so we can truly appreciate the other three. Or maybe Mother Nature just has a twisted sense of humor, and an extra long menstrual cycle come December. Whatever the reason, I am just ready for it to be over. Before my Spring Fever starts causing hallucinations, and I run naked into the snow, thinking it's a field of daisies...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment