Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Olympics (My Commentary)

Like many of you, I've been watching the Winter Olympics lately. It's difficult not to get sucked in to the hype, competition, and excitement. Also, we don't have cable, and it's pretty much the only thing on. But after watching them for a bit, I started to notice a few things...

*Why no medals ceremonies? Am I missing something? We've been watching them on prime time now for over a week, and I haven't seen a single medal ceremony. I've seen images from them, photos, quick clips, etc. but not one entire podium fanfare from start to finish.

*The announcers are either WAY too excited, or way too mellow. Is there no middle ground? They are either shouting at the top of their lungs over something less than thrilling, or they are totally under playing a big moment. Get your shit together people. And what's up with the interviews after a win/lose? Could you possibly ask stupider questions? "You just lost a medal by a thousandth of a second. How does that make you feel?" Umm... probably pretty shitty, asshole. You want to ask how they feel about people kicking puppies next?

*Figure skaters... there is such a thing as too many rhinestones. Don't get me wrong, I love me some shiny bling. The more glitter the better. Usually. But this is the Olympics. Maybe keep the bedazzling to a respectable level.

*I'm just going to put this out there, but I REALLY don't understand Curling. I sweep a mean floor, but I don't expect a gold medal for it. Why is this an Olympic sport?

*Enough with the comparisons & references to the "Miracle on Ice" already. We get it, that was a BIG deal, but it was 30+ years ago, it's time to stop using it as your only source of hockey knowledge.

*What is up with the skier in the ridiculously oversized uniform? If that's how you want to dress at your home slope, fine. But this is world class skiing, and you are on international television. Get some drawers that stay on your ass. You look like a fool.

*Are the conditions at Sochi really as bad as they say? I saw this photo the other day and just had to laugh.

 
Well... there IS no "i" in team. Or bathroom...
 

Aside from these few things, I really have been enjoying watching and cheering for the talented athletes. Go Team USA! Keep up the great work!


No comments:

Post a Comment