Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Truth About Valentine's Day

This Friday is Valentine's Day.
Valentine's Day is a holiday where we celebrate love. I think. Or maybe we celebrate chocolate and roses. Or diamond jewelry. Honestly... I'm not really sure. What I AM sure about, is that it's weird.
If I only expressed my love for my partner one day out of the year, well... I probably wouldn't have a partner. The point is, shouldn't every day be Valentine's Day? And if you honor your love all year, and still want to go that extra mile on February 14th, more power to ya. I just don't get it. So you want to do all the stereotypical sh*t that every other person is doing, on the EXACT SAME DAY they are doing it?? OMG you bought her flowers??? SHOCKING!! (The latter should be in sarcasm font.)
Now don't get me wrong, I rather enjoy Valentine's Day. But not for the reasons you'd probably expect. I love the cheesiness, the corniness, the over the top-ness of it all. The glitter, the glitz, the sparkle & fun. The candy, the hearts, the pure happiness of it is grand. I love the IDEA of Valentine's Day more than I love the actual holiday. I am a highly affectionate individual, and if you know me, you can vouch for this. I am a hugger, kisser, pincher, spanker, tell you I love you-er. I adore the notion of a day where we tell people how we feel about them. I think this gives people who aren't as open as myself, the chance to share their feelings, emotions, and heart-felt truths. The problem, is that most people don't do that. They share someone else's feelings. They buy a card filled with flowery, beautiful words, but they aren't THEIR words. They buy the gifts that they think they are supposed to, not the gifts that come from the heart.

This is why I think Valentine's Day is weird, and I don't get it.
I don't celebrate Valentine's Day in the traditional sense. The hubs and I have never really done that. It's just not our thing. But I DO celebrate it. I often buy or make special cards & gifts, and share them with people I care about. Friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc. I try to focus on people who may not otherwise get a Valentine, or who can use some extra care. I think everyone deserves to be told they are loved, even if that love comes from the goofy relative, or girl next door.
I prefer the grade school days of handmade mailboxes, and cards & treats for everyone. You saved the best cards for your crushes, but no one was left out. It was a fun, carefree, happy time.

Now a days, Valentine's Day feels more like a f*ck you to all the single people, and a relationship test for all the couples. Ladies are filled with expectations, and guys are sweating bullets, hoping to stay out of the doghouse. The pressure to force "romance" and keep up with the next guy would make anyone crazy.
I worked for Hallmark for over 15 years, and in all that time, I can count on one hand how many people I saw come in actually excited and happy about Valentine's Day. The rest were just following the crowd, and doing what they thought was expected of them. Is that what love should be? An expectation? Is that how you judge the quality of adoration? With flowers and chocolates? If it is, maybe you need to rethink your standards.
I guess my point is this: If you want to celebrate on Friday, go for it. Buy all the chocolates, overpriced flowers, jewelry, and fancy dinners you can afford. Shower your partner with rose petals, and champagne, if that's what makes you happy. But do it BECAUSE it makes you happy. Not because you think you have to. And if that's not your thing... stay home, order Chinese, watch funny movies, and eat yourself into an ice cream coma. Celebrate however you want to celebrate, not how some advertiser or stereotype tells you to. Valentine's Day is about love, in whatever form that comes in. Whether it's between spouses, friends, family, or even just yourself. And if February 14th is the only day you celebrate that love... I feel sorry for you. But if it is... well then, by all means... go crazy, and get that extra large teddy bear, since it will probably be the only thing you get to cuddle for awhile.
Happy Valentine's Day, Berry Friends. I love you all, and not just one day of the year.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment