Monday, February 24, 2014

No Make-up, No Thank You

This morning on The Today Show, they were doing a series called "Love Your Selfie" where the idea is to post a photo of yourself with no make-up. (No Make-up Monday)
Ummm... no.
I understand the idea is to bring attention to body image issues and such, and while I am all for this new "self love" movement, I don't understand why I need to hate make-up in order to do that.
I LOVE make-up. I am a loud and proud fan of cosmetics, and have been for as long as I can remember. I wear it daily, and it makes me happy. Does this mean I hate myself? Not at all. Do I have body image issues? Of course. I'd be lying if I said I didn't. But wearing or not wearing make-up doesn't change that fact in the least. My make-up doesn't cover my stomach rolls, my stretch marks, or my veiny legs. So should I also post a photo of myself naked to prove how much I love me? That's just utter nonsense. Body image issues are a very real thing, and blaming cosmetics, beauty supplies, and clothing isn't solving anything. If wearing Spanx under your favorite dress makes you feel that much more comfortable in your skin, then I say go for it. And if wearing make-up makes you feel prettier, what's the harm?
Why can't we love ourselves, and still love our make-up? I could post a million pics of myself without cosmetics, and it wouldn't change the fact that I still look better with it on. It doesn't transform me from one person to another. It merely makes me the best possible version of myself. And isn't that what we SHOULD be aiming for? If working out changes your body, does that mean that you shouldn't do it, because isn't that saying there was something wrong with your body to begin with?? No. It means you are trying to be a better, stronger, healthier version of yourself. And if being the best version of yourself means a sassy haircut, a flattering outfit, and some make-up.... who's to say that's wrong?
I don't like this new movement towards making women feel guilty for wanting to look better. Yes, we should love ourselves, flaws and all, but that doesn't mean we need to announce those flaws to the world. I'm not going to strut around in a crop top to show that world that I'm ok with myself, even though my tummy isn't flat, any more than I'm going to go out without make-up just to prove a point. Doing that won't change anything.
Body image issues are not going to be solved by plus sized models, anti airbrush campaigns, or naked faced selfies. The only person who can change the way you view yourself is YOU. The more we continue to blame everything and everyone else, the more we get away from the real issue. Ourselves. If you think you should look a certain way because some model in a magazine looks that way, how is that the model's fault? It isn't. If you can't separate a model just doing their job, from reality, the problem is with you.

So no... I will not be participating in 'No Make-up Monday'. I will continue to post images of myself with my make-up on, and looking my best. And I will continue to be perfectly OK with myself, flaws and all. And if you want to see me without my "face on", I'm going to have to kill you after...

 
(Today's selfie. Make-up and all.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. Instead of lifting women up and telling them the things that they do are okay, people are always putting them down for one reason or another. I do think that their point could also be self esteem related, meaning you don't NEED make up or other enhancements to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, doll! And I'm sure they meant well, I just don't like all the negativity over wearing make-up. If wearing make-up and certain clothes make you feel more confident, go for it. And if you feel like a rock star without either... get on with your bad self! However you feel most comfortable should be just fine. :)

      Delete