Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ok... So I'm a Little Weird

I think I've established that I might not be the most normal individual on the planet. But, I've accepted my weirdness, and I like to think it's charming. I mean, I'm not hide in the bushes outside your house and watch you sleep weird, or strip naked and roll around in pudding while listening to Madonna weird, so it could always be worse.
Anywho.... I've noticed that a great number of folks seem to hide their weirdness. Like it's something bad, that should be kept under wraps. Well not me. I'm proud to be different. I like being an individual, and not a follower. I wear my weirdness like a superhero wears a cape. (Dammit... now I really want a cape. With a giant 'W' on it. Super Weirdo to the rescue!) What was I saying?? Oh yeah, so people always pretend to be normal, while keeping their oddities (AKA: the things that make them special, unique, interesting, and fun) tucked neatly away, hidden from view. Well I say NO MORE! Let's let our freak flags fly, and shout it from the rooftops. "WE'RE HERE AND WE'RE WEIRD!" So today, I'd like to share with you just a few of the things that make me Weird. And I hope they inspire you to do the same. Because there is no fun in being boring.

1. I collect bizarre garden gnomes, name them, make costumes for them, give them back stories, and I even travel with one wherever I go, and that same one has a Facebook page. Don't believe me? Click here. 
2. I use stuffed animals as throw pillows on my sofa. Feel free to curl up with Curious George, Hello Kitty, or Strawberry Shortcake, and watch a movie.
3. I play with LEGOS. And by "play" I mean I make inappropriate/funny scenes with them, take photos and add my own captions. I do occasionally just build with them too.
4. I have not one, but TWO fairy doors in my house. Yes, fairy doors. They are tiny, colorful doors that mount to the wall & allow for fairies to come and go. (I've yet to see a fairy use either of them, but better safe than sorry, right?)
5. I am just a teensy weensy bit OCD. I like my towels lined up evenly on the rack, my stuff in straight lines on my desk, my bra & panties MUST match, I shave everyday, annnnd, you get the idea.
6. I wear a tiara when I clean house. And not a plastic kids tiara either. A real, good quality, fancy one. I like to feel like a princess when I scrub the toilets.
7. I love to color. I have a stash of children's coloring books and several boxes of crayons in a cabinet in the living room, and I find it is a great stress reliever.
8. I get freakishly excited over very small versions of regular things. Miniature stuff for doll houses makes me squeal with delight. (A TINY TOILET?!! C'MON!)
9. I keep the Rainbow Brite soundtrack in my car, and every once in a while, I put it in, roll down my windows, and crank this song at full volume.
10. I like to combine my favorite childhood activities with my favorite adult activities. For example... Blanket forts in the living room are not just for reading anymore. (wink, wink)

This list could go on for eons, but I think I've made my point. Being Weird is fun, and it's perfectly ok. I still have a normal, healthy relationship, I maintain a steady job, and I am a functioning adult. I'm not ashamed of my weirdness, and you shouldn't be either. So let your inner weirdo out, and stop trying to pretend you're normal. No one believes it anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment