Sunday, December 18, 2011

Budget Bedroom Make-Over (Around $100)

I was getting tired of the look of my bedroom and wanted something brighter and more fun, but I didn't have a lot of money to spend. I love my furniture, so that wasn't an issue, but I really wanted to change everything else.
I started with my bedspread which I got for a steal for about $10. Thank you Kohl's clearance and coupons.
Next I found the art/mirror for over the bed. ($20 at Big Lots) The deco tiles I had purchased for $1 for the set at a garage sale. They were a hideous gold color, so I painted them white and they look amazing. The other wall decor was repurposed from other rooms, or that I had in storage and wasn't currently using.
The sheer curtains on the bed, I already owned (I am getting more for all the way around the bed, but one of the bed posts was under repair at the time.) so those didn't cost anything. The tiebacks are scraps of fabric from an old t-shirt that I used to make the smaller throw pillow. Again, no cost. The 3 sheers on the windows were $5 each and the woven rug was $3. (more Big Lots finds) The hanging candelabra was a sidewalk sale find that I paid $1.50 for. It is so pretty lit and adds a touch of romance to the room. The wall paint was on sale, for $10/gallon and we used about a gallon and a half. (The color looks much brighter in person than it does in the pictures.)

My chair was on sale at Meijer for $20 and it is so soft and comfy. The throw on the chair was another steal for $3 at Big Lots and the pillow I made myself. The top of the dresser is draped with a scarf that I loved the color of, but rarely wore. The larger throw pillow on the bed was a clearance find (Meijer) for $6.
The room is my favorite place in my home and my husband calls it our Gypsy Room. Whenever guests come over, they are instantly drawn to it & often hang out in there.
I love color and this room has plenty of it. Each morning I wake up and smile. It's hard to be down in a room this happy. If you are looking to redecorate, but don't have a lot of money, don't worry. Just use your imagination and think outside the box. Do you have things you aren't using that can be repurposed? Check clearance sales, thrift stores and garage/sidewalk sales for inspiration. It's your home, so don't worry about what others might think and never be afraid to experiment. Plain white walls are for hospitals, not homes. So let your creative juices go wild and see what happens. You just might be surprised at the designer in you...

No comments:

Post a Comment