Monday, November 11, 2013

Country Girl?

For those of you who don't know, I was born and raised in small towns. I spent the first half of my childhood in a town of roughly 400, then moved to a "big city" of about 1,500 folks. There were more cows, pigs, horses, and chickens than people, by a long shot. I've lived in various places during my adult years so far, and am currently abiding in another rural area.
Why, you ask? I have no idea. I don't own a farm, a tractor, or even a dog for that matter. I have no desire to have livestock of any nature, to be honest. I was recently involved in a country folk vs. city folk debate, and it got me to thinking....What the hell am I??
I would have to think I fall into the country folk category, and I started thinking about what makes one "country". Stereotypically speaking, of course. Here are my thoughts...

I don't hunt. I grew up in a hunting family, and most of my siblings, and much of my extended family still hunts regularly. I have no qualms with hunting. I COULD hunt. I even learned to use guns and bows in my early years. I just have no desire to hunt. If I want meat, I go to the store and get it. I don't even have to buy it dinner first.

I own nothing camo. Not even a pair of socks. And more to the point, I don't want to own anything camo. Who am I hiding from? Am I in a war at Target? I just don't get the camo thing...
I don't have animals. I like animals just fine. I've had many pets in my time, and I like to think one day I will have some again. But just one dog, or maybe a cat. Nothing that requires milking though. I don't even like milk.
I don't drive a Ford or Chevy. Nope. I drive a Subaru, and I love it. A wagon, even. And it's never hauled hay, feed, or an animal carcass.
I don't have a garden. Hell, I don't even have real house plants. I killed a cactus once, so clearly I was not born with a green thumb. I do appreciate home grown produce, and I have been known to hit up the farmers markets, and road side stands.
I hate nearly all domestic beers, and I won't drink any beer from a can. I'll float down a river, chill by a bonfire, even tailgate, but I'll do it with good beer.
I think NASCAR is stupid. Now if you've read any of my other posts, you know that I am a BIG automotive sports fan. But NASCAR stopped being worthwhile when they stopped running moonshine. Give me rally, Formula1, or pretty much ANY other car racing, and I'm in. But you can keep your NASCRAP.
I could go on, but I think you get the point. I don't fit most of the "country" stereotypes. So why do I still consider myself a country girl? I'll tell you why...
Because being country isn't just about competing in a greased pig contest or playing cow pie Bingo, though I've done both. Many times. It isn't about wearing boots, and listening to Conway Twitty. But I do that too. It's a state of mind. If you'd rather lay in the bed of an old truck, drinking a beer, and counting stars, than hang out at a loud club, you're probably country. If you get more pleasure out of building a roaring bonfire than twirling a glow stick, you're probably country. If you own more flannel and denim than silk and satin, you're probably country. If you often get stuck behind farm equipment on your daily commute, and you have no desire to honk your horn and get impatient, you're probably country. If you know that the best food is home cooked, not from some 5 star restaurant, you're probably country.
I may not fit all the stereotypes of a typical country girl, and as much as I enjoy the big cities from time to time, I'll always love coming home to my little rural slice of Heaven. I'll always treasure the peace and quiet of a summer night, and the brightness of the stars over a glistening body of water. I'll never take for granted the easy going pace of a simpler way of life, over the hustle and bustle of the city. In my life, I may live in many places, and I may enjoy them all, but nothing will ever feel quite like home to me without dusty roads, open fields, and a small town.



No comments:

Post a Comment