Monday, November 4, 2013

Being Thankful

Starting November first, the thankful posts begin on facebook. These can be anything from your health and family, to the internet and a good cup of coffee. The idea is to say, each day, something you are thankful for. No matter how big or small it may be. While I know by mid November, these posts can get tiresome and a bit much, I still appreciate the sentiment.
I think it is important, now more than ever, to find these blessings, and to savor them. And if by making a social media post about it, you take a moment and truly acknowledge the good things in your life, then I say go for it. Should we only be thankful in November? Of course not. But if Thanksgiving is a reminder for you to slow down and cherish life, how is that a bad thing? So whether or not you are participating in the month of posts, maybe you should still sit down and make a list, just as a reminder to yourself to see the silver lining. With the craziness of the holidays just around the corner, it might be a nice little refresher to keep our heads, and hearts, in the right place.
And in that spirit... Here is what I am thankful for.
I am thankful for Dan (my hubs) and all the joy he has brought, and continues to bring into my life. For his endless hard work, and strength of character. For his support, and love, and friendship. I am thankful that he chooses me to share his life with, and that each day we grow stronger and closer.
I am thankful for the members of my family, who have chosen to stand beside me, during the most difficult time of my life. For not walking away when it wasn't easy, and for continuing to show me compassion and understanding.
I am thankful for my friends, who have become my family, and held my hand, dried my tears, and walked with me through Hell. And those who have reached out, showed empathy, support, and kindness, when they didn't have to. For those who have listened and cared.
I am thankful for all the Team Finn love and support. For each of you who took the time to place a sticker on your car (helmet, camera, computer, etc) and bring a little happiness to Dan & I. For honoring the memory and legacy of our son, and keeping his spirit alive.
I am thankful for the automotive community, and all the amazing people it has brought into our lives. To the rally world, especially, for being a second family, and for helping us in our quest to find the right path in our new normal.
I am thankful for all of our adopted kids. For their smiles, and laughs, and love. For their endless loyalty to us, and to Zach's memory. For being a part of Dan & I's life, and for making us a part of theirs.
I am thankful for a job that I love. For being able to work for people who not only treat me with respect and kindness, but also who make me feel appreciated and genuinely cared for.
I am thankful for a beautiful home, a warm bed, and for food in my belly.
I am thankful for the ability to share with all of you my thoughts and emotions. And I am thankful to all of you who take the time to read it.
I am thankful for my son. For all that he has taught me, and all the joy he has brought into my life. Though I would have given ANYTHING for more time with him, I am thankful for the time I had, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am thankful for the memories, and I will treasure them always. I am thankful for all the signs and messages he continues to send me in spirit, and for being the best kid a parent could ever ask for.
I am thankful for so much, that I can't possibly write it all here. And I am making it my mission, especially in the incredibly difficult days to come, to remind myself of these things. And when it gets too hard, I will look up, and know that I have the best, most amazing angel smiling down on me, and that he would want me to be thankful just to be alive...


No comments:

Post a Comment