Friday, October 24, 2014

What I Believe

If you know me at all, you most likely already know that I am not a religious person. 
I don't consider myself an Atheist necessarily, but I suppose I fit that definition better than probably anything else. 
I've never found comfort in religion, or the idea of God. I'm fascinated by it, and have studied many religions over the years, but it never struck a chord with me the way it seems to for so many. Much like with fairy tales and mythology, the stories are entertaining, and most carry some kind of a lesson in morality, which I can appreciate, but I've never taken them for anything more than that. 
If you've ever read classic fairy tales, such as Grimm's, you know that the original purpose was to frighten children in an attempt to control bad behavior. I view the Bible much the same way. Granted, it was written at a much earlier point in history, so the lessons derived from it are appropriate to that time and place. Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't still valuable lessons in the Bible. David and Goliath for example, teaches us that we can overcome our fears and our demons, and we can conquer even the biggest enemy with wisdom and determination. At least that's how I interpret the story. But the notion of believing these stories as fact.... well that baffles me. I don't want to poke fun, or upset anyone, but to me, believing that all of the stories in the Bible are real is just as silly as believing that vampires and werewolves are real. I think over time, in our fear to please God, we've taken the Bible and its lessons much too far, and much too literally. But that's a subject that I could carry on for a long, long time about.... 
In my experience, when you tell someone that you don't believe in God, you are most often met with shock and confusion. But how? How can you not believe? And it's quite simple really. I just don't. Do I believe that there are a plethora of things out in the universe that we simply do not understand? Yes. Do I believe that one of those things is a giant man in the clouds that watches us and controls us like pieces of a twisted game? No, I do not. Could there be a higher power out there? Sure. There could also be aliens. To be honest, I'm really hoping for the latter.
But I think the biggest misconception people have about the non religious is that we are somehow morally inept. That without some book or holy person guiding us, we must be utterly lost. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know many, many Atheists and secular people, and I can honestly tell you that they are some of the kindest, most giving, loving, positive, selfless, and wonderful people I have ever known. And they are this way because they choose to be. Not out of guilt, or for some golden ticket into the afterlife. Now that's not to say that if you ARE religious, you cannot be that way. Of course you can, and many are. But God and religion are not a requirement to be a good person. This is something I want to make VERY clear. A lack of belief in a God does not equate a lack in morals. I do not need to be told that it's bad to kill people, or to steal. I'm fully aware of that. And while my moral compass may not always point due north... I am not a bad or evil person. I'm human, I make mistakes. That's all part of living a genuine life. The idea that someone should never make bad decisions or "sin" is not an idea that I agree with. I think any life truly lived will be filled with mistakes and bad decisions. That's how we learn to make better choices. I don't think we should be made to feel guilty for that. 

So if I don't believe in God, what DO I believe in? 
I believe in myself. I believe that I am capable of making the right choices, and being a good person without being told how, by a book or anyone else. I believe in kindness, and the Golden Rule. I believe in love and respect for your fellow man, regardless of sex, race, religion, etc. I believe in honesty, and being true to yourself. I believe in compassion and understanding. I believe that sometimes the world is an ugly place, and there is no rhyme or reason for it, it just is. I believe that we are given a short time on this planet, and that we have to make the most of that time. 
I want to be clear on something... I am not saying that my way is right and yours is wrong. I am not saying that if you believe in God or practice a religion that you are a bad person. I am only telling you what I believe. And part of what I believe is that we are all entitled to our opinions. If your faith gives you comfort, hope, and peace of mind, then I am happy for you. I am not against religion. It just isn't for me. Plain and simple. I also don't like mushrooms or the color beige, but if you do, I don't hold that against you either....



(I suppose this sums it up. Lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment