Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What Offends Me

I'll be honest, I'm not G rated. I'm an adult, so luckily I don't have to be. I don't take offense to cuss words, nudity, and adult humor. My idea of what's inappropriate is most likely vastly different from someone less.... well let's say... outspoken. 
I do have tact, and a moral code. I'm not an animal. I know that there's a time and a place for certain things. But, I also have a sense of humor. I know how to take a joke, and I am far from easily offended. 
So it never ceases to amaze me when other adults take offense to something that wouldn't even cause a blip on my Inappropriate Radar. 
You want to know what DOES make my Offense Spidey Sense tingle? I'll tell you. Here is a list:

Ignorance:
I loathe ignorance of all kinds. Racism, sexism, prejudice, and the like. Those things offend the hell out of me. I have never in my life judged someone by anything other than how they treat others. I don't care what God you worship, what color your skin is, who you want to have sex with, or how fat your momma is. If you are cool to me, I'll be cool to you. Period. 


Hurting Children:
Let's make something real clear. It is NEVER ok to hurt a child. Now, I'm not talking about light discipline. If you want to spank your kid when they misbehave, go ahead. But within reason. And never in anger.
But these people who molest, abuse, and murder kids.... fuck that. Eye for an eye in those situations. When I see images of bloody and bruised kids, I take major offense.

Fear Mongering:
Basically, I take offense to most types of media, because nowadays, this is all that they do. They play on our emotions, and feed our fears and insecurities. When people allow fear based media to override their common sense, I take issue with that. How many times a day do you see articles and "news" stories shared on social media? I'm guessing a lot. How often do you research those stories before you hit the share button? I'm guessing not often. When you do that, you are perpetuating the fear mongering. That bothers me. 

People Who Try to Control Others:
Remember when I said I hate ignorance? This falls into that category as well. When I see people trying to tell other people what to believe or how to feel, that pisses me off. If you aren't gay, you have no business trying to tell someone who is how they should act or feel. If you are religious, you have no right trying to force those beliefs on others. Just because you are wealthy, doesn't mean you should be treated better or have more say than someone who is poor. Live your life, be happy, and allow others the same courtesy. 

Bad Drivers:
Yes, I am offended by poor driving skills. And not just because it is annoying, but because it is dangerous. People have become so complacent behind the wheel, they've forgotten that they are in control of a potentially deadly machine. Distracted driving, drunk driving, and general lack of respect create a situation ripe for disaster. I can't tell you how many times a day I see people narrowly escaping an accident. This shit has to stop. People need to get their heads out of their asses and pay attention. 

Terrible Music & Television:
What happened to quality entertainment? Songs with stories and meaning, not just a catchy chorus and one repetitive beat. And don't even get me started on TV. It's one garbage show after another. Reality TV? Seriously, whose reality is that? Not mine, or anyone that I know. I miss music that moved you. Gave you goosebumps, and inspired you. I yearn for the days of television shows that you could really relate to. Shows that made you think, made you laugh, made you cry. So yes, I'm offended by today's entertainment industry as a whole. It's complete crap. 

That's just about it I think. I'm sure there are a few others, but these are the biggies. The ones that will instantly raise my hackles. Everything else is just not worth getting worked up over. Life is too short to be so sensitive. Take a joke, learn to laugh, and quit getting your panties all twisted over stuff that has no impact on you whatsoever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment