Friday, April 10, 2015

Fairy Wand Suncatcher

Sometimes when I lay awake in bed at night, I think of various projects that I want to try. Well last night, I kept thinking about this particular craft, and I decided to give it a try. Not only was it a success, it turned out even more lovely than I expected. 
I've dubbed this project the Fairy Wand Suncatcher, and when you see the finished project, you'll understand why. Now, I'm going to give you the step by step on this, but since it's made using assorted odds and ends from my yard and craft box, I doubt any two would ever end up looking the same. But at least you'll get an idea. 
Here is the completed project. Not the best photo, but all I have is my phone, so it's the best I could do. 


To begin with, I went outside, behind my apartment, and found a couple of decent sized branches. There were plenty on the ground, so I didn't have to mutilate a tree for this. I looked for ones that had enough bulk to hold some weight without breaking, without being too big. I also paid attention to the shape, because I wanted my stick to have some character. 
Once you've selected some that you like, bring them inside and give them a quick cleaning. Check for bugs, loose bark, anything that might ruin the look. 
After deciding which one would work best for this project, I mixed together some white craft paint with water and quickly brushed on a whitewashing coat. Depending on the look you're going for, you could leave your branch natural, or paint it any number of colors. I wanted a birch type color for mine, so a light whitewashing did the trick perfectly. 

Whitewashed branch next to a natural branch. 

After the paint dried, I decided I wanted to give it a bit more pizzazz, so that it was extra eye catching and shimmery when displayed in the window. To do that, I gave the entire branch a good coating of spray adhesive (an all purpose glue would work as well) and then shook on some iridescent glitter. Not too much, just enough to give it a magical sparkle. To help keep the glitter from falling off, and to add some protection, I also gave my branch a good cover of clear coat spray. 



After allowing plenty of time for the clear coat to dry, I had to decide what I wanted to hang from my shimmery stick. After digging through my various craft odds and ends, I decided on some handblown glass leaves that I had rescued years before from a broken windchime. 

I've been in love with these beauties from the first moment I saw them, and this was the absolute perfect project for them. But if you don't have glass leaves, you can always string beads, crystals, flowers, or anything else you may have around your house. Or use a combination of items. This project is all about being creative and using what you have. 
I used some shimmery ribbon that I had leftover from a previous project to tie the leaves on, and I staggered their lengths to give it a pretty effect.
I finished it off by hot gluing a few small silk flowers onto the branch, and adding the string to hang it with. (I tied the string to each end, to allow it to hang more evenly.) A few suction cups stuck to the window, and viola! A beautiful Fairy Wand Suncatcher! 

Again, not the best photo, but you get the idea. This would also be a great project for a patio wall, or hung in a garden. I'll definitely be making more of these. I just love it! 

Needed for this project:
*large stick or small branch
*white paint
*spray adhesive or all purpose glue
*glitter
*clear coat spray (optional)
*ribbon or string
*assortment of items to hang
*a few small silk flowers (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment