Friday, May 18, 2012

Pinterest Addict

For those of you who are not on Pinterest, I am so sorry. For those of you who are. Hello, my name is Teena, and I have a Pinterest addiction. (insert chorus of "Hi Teena's" here)
Pinterest is a place where you create boards for everything you could ever fathom and 'pin' things to them. Sounds simple and almost silly, right? WRONG! It's pure genius! Have you ever wanted a giant cork board where you can pin every recipe you would like to try? Or maybe a place to store pics that make you laugh, or inspire you to work out? Planning a wedding or a party & need a spot to not only find great ideas, but save them too? PINTEREST IS IT!
Whatever brilliant mind (It had to be a woman.) created this magical, wonderful world... I bow to your superb wisdom. If Pinterest was a religion, I would be baptized in its glory. It is a slice of birthday cake, wrapped in a hot caramel sundae, dipped in sprinkles with a side of bacon and cookies. It is pure, unadulterated joy. I login and in seconds I am laughing, crying, starving and ready to run a marathon. No other website has the ability to not only suck me in so deeply, but to do it for such incredible lengths of time. There is a phenomenon that occurs the moment you log in to Pinterest. Time no longer makes sense. I call it the Pinterest wormhole. A wrinkle in time, if you will. I start pinning, and before I know it hours have passed. Hours that felt like mere moments. But what joyus, blessed hours they are. It's like a peaceful cocoon of pleasure that wraps around your brain and makes you feel creative, beautiful, smart, funny and a little out of shape but inspired to change.
Then something happens...
You log off and realize that your clothes are hideous, your house is in desperate need of redecorating, you do not have any of the ingredients to be a master chef, your abs look more like a gallon jug than a 6 pack and your children have been waiting for lunch for several hours. The pinning high is gone... It's like a switch has been flipped and suddenly this amazing life you have created on imaginary boards isn't really real. (Although the craving for dessert somehow manages to linger much longer than the inspiration to work out does...) So what do you do? How do you get that feeling back?
You log back in and start pinning. This is the vicious Pinterest cycle. Sadly, there is not yet a 12 step program for this, though I imagine many of us could use it.
If I find one, I'll be sure to repin it...

No comments:

Post a Comment