Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Weekend At STPR 2014

I apologize for my absence, I'm sure you were all chomping at the bit waiting for my return. Well... I'm back.
It was a crazy weekend of rally in Wellsboro, PA (at STPR) full of lots of highs and a few lows. But I'm happy to say that we had a GREAT time. Big thanks to our friends Donnie & Amber for hosting us, and to their small blond child, Audrey, for keeping us plenty entertained the entire time. Also big congratulations to Donnie & Amber on their engagement, which I was honored to witness. I can now cross "witness a proposal" off my bucket list. It was very sweet, and they are two amazing people who I am so grateful found one another. I wish I had a photo of the stunning rock, because DAYUM, it was gorgeous. But I do have the romantic moment captured.

 
(above left is the proposal & bottom right is the "after" moment)
 
 

Just look at those smiles. Very happy for these two, and I know the future holds all the best for them.
So, I mentioned some lows. STPR is known as a "car killer" and this year's event left no doubt in anyone's mind on that fact. I don't think too many cars left there unscathed, and many left in severely rough shape. We had some big scares, which included a substantial off from team TAG Rally Sport, and being as there was little cell phone service in the area, it was awhile before we knew the status of our friends Tracey & Tabitha. After a trip to the local hospital to be checked out, they left with some bumps and bruises, but all in all safe and sound.
 
Here are the girls at the start of Day 1. All smiles, being silly with Hank the Gnome. So glad these two are ok. Wish I could say the same for their car, but hopefully Jellybean can be fixed and make a triumphant return soon.
We had a few other scares as well.
 
 
Our friend Gary of V8 Rally Ranger had a major off, also, and I am heartbroken to say that his truck did not fair as well as its passengers. But the guys are safe, and that's the most important thing. Fingers crossed we see the rally truck back in action sooner than later, as it is definitely a crowd pleaser.
 
 
Our buddies, Matt & Ian also had an off, though minor, it still kept them from finishing the race on Day 2. But the Honda is still solid, and ready for another go. Sad to see them DNF, but once again grateful for the safety equipment that protected them.
 
 
Our pal, Jeff (31 Motorsports) was kicking some butt, until he too had a pretty bad off. Jeff seems to enjoy having the car on its roof, but we hope he gets that out of his system soon. ;) He did end up with a trophy for Day 1, so congrats on that.
 
 
Happy to say that the Shark Attack car driven/co-driven by Ryan & Steven did awesome. Not only did they have easily the best jump of the event (Have you ever seen a shark fly? I have.) but they left with some trophies too. Great job, guys.
 
 
 
The Flying Frog car, piloted by Brian, and co-piloted by Amber, had a rough weekend as well. Luckily only a very minor off, but the car just wasn't performing at its best this event. Hopefully Brian can get Kermit fixed up right, and ready to kick some ass by the next event.


The quiet troopers, Alex & Chris made us all proud this weekend, by doing awesome. Trophies for both days, and a relatively unscathed car. Glad to have met these guys, and give them a hand with their car. Congrats, boys.
 
From close calls, to double rainbows, this event had it all. I could spend days writing about it. It was our first time out at STPR, and it certainly did not disappoint. As always, we had a great time seeing all of our old friends, and making lots of new ones. The rally community is an incredible group of people, and we are honored to be even a small part of it. So proud of all the competitors, crew, volunteers, and spectators. They all made it an awesome event, and I am already looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment