Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Why I'm Proud I Took The #ALSIceBucketChallenge

I was recently nominated by my friend, Vanessa, to take the Ice Bucket Challenge. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I had no idea what it was. I am rarely up to date on trends and celebrity stuff, so I hadn't heard all the fuss yet.
So I did what any normal person does... I Googled it.
What I found was more than the rules to a challenge. I found countless stories of individuals fighting this disease. ALS, or more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. There is no cure for this disease, and there are no treatments that halt or reverse it. ALS is a fatal disease. And one that puts the sufferer through countless unimaginable and painful struggles. For a better insight into the life of someone with ALS, please check out this blog post.

'What an ALS Family Really Thinks About the Ice Bucket Challenge'

So after much research, I decided that while I might not be able to do much, anything was better than nothing. So I went to alsa.org and made a donation. I'll be honest, it wasn't a lot. But it was what I could afford. Then I filled a bucket with ice water, and made a video. I challenged three people who I thought would be generous, and good sports.
I didn't put on a tiny white t-shirt (though I had a few requests) and I didn't do it for personal attention. To be completely frank, I hate being on camera. But it was for a good cause, so I did it.
Fast forward less than 24 hours, and my social media is bombarded with ice bucket challenge shaming. Yes, you read that right... SHAMING. People who are angry or annoyed by the idea. How is that even possible? How can you be upset by people just trying to do a good thing?
The reasons vary. From "It doesn't do any good." to "It's a waste of water." to "What's the point?" and on and on and on.
If $23 MILLION dollars in donations (and counting) isn't a good thing, what is? That's money that will help families of those suffering, help fund research, and hopefully go towards someday finding a cure for this debilitating, awful, and deadly disease. I don't think that's any kind of a waste. Could you go and donate without dousing yourself in ice water? Of course you could. And if that makes you feel more altruistic and better than those who do... by all means, please do so. But not everyone can afford to donate. So why not do something to at least help bring awareness? Because awareness breeds action, and action is exactly what is needed. Prior to this most people had no idea what ALS even was. Now, not only do they know, but they are helping others to fight it.
For years, people have found creative ways to help bring attention to their causes. Walk-a-thons, Balls, Fairs & Carnivals, Charity Sporting Events and more. The Ice Bucket Challenge is just part of a new movement of using social media and good humor to bring much needed awareness to something that may otherwise not get it. If you can find fault in that, then maybe you need to stop judging others, and take a good look at yourself.
Enough with the shaming and negative posts already. There is absolutely no good that comes from doing that. And whether you wish to accept it or not, I can give you 23 million reasons why the Ice Bucket Challenge is worth it.
I proudly accepted the challenge, and I look forward to seeing my social media blow up with more people doing the same. And whatever the next popular, trending challenge is, I'll support that too if it's for a good cause.


(Me accepting the challenge)

For those of you interested in finding out more about ALS and how you too can help, please go to alsa.org right now and join the movement. 


No comments:

Post a Comment