Friday, August 29, 2014

You Inspire Me

Everyday, we are faced with a choice. We can be happy, or we can be sad.
Of course, there are a million other emotions that fall in between, but most of them will lean towards one of those two options.
I'll be honest, I don't always wake up happy. Sometimes I struggle with the heavy weight of sadness, and I have to fight to push it off.
But day after day, I encounter things that amaze and inspire me. People who smile through heartbreak and pain.
Just today, sitting at my desk, staring out the window, watching the world go by, I have seen a blind man out alone, enjoying a walk. I've seen a young girl with a walker and leg braces cruising by my window with a brilliant smile on her face. I've witnessed countless people stop in the midst of their busy lives to admire a stunning mural, recently painted on the side of the building across the street. I've seen a mentally challenged young man riding his bike, stopping to smile or greet each person he passed.
Day after day, I am inspired by the world around me. By people who are kind, even when those around them are cruel. People who are filled with beauty, in an otherwise ugly world. People who can find the silver lining on any black cloud.
You hear stories and see videos of people doing heroic acts, overcoming immense challenges, and beating the odds. Of folks paying it forward, giving selflessly, and making a difference.
THIS is the world I'm proud to be a part of. Not the ugly, evil, cruel world that you see on the news. Yes, those things are out there. But they aren't the ONLY things out there. For every tragedy, somewhere there is also a happy ending.
To all of you individuals out there, doing good, and being positive... I hope you know it isn't in vain. There are countless others, like myself, who bear witness, and are inspired to be more like you. Maybe I don't say it enough, maybe my quiet gratitude needs to become shouted gratitude, but I am so thankful for you. Thank you, smiling strangers. Thank you, selfless givers. Thank you, optimists. Thank you, beautiful souls. Thank you to everyone who has made a difference in the lives of those around you, no matter how small it may have seemed. You are my heroes, and you inspire me.


No comments:

Post a Comment