Thursday, January 15, 2015

Back in the Day...

Oh the 80s. A simpler time. A time when walkie talkies were the closest thing to cell phones, and social media meant riding your bike to a friend's house to tell them about your day. 
I feel lucky to have grown up in a time before technology took over. When your imagination was your greatest toy. When you only had 6 channels of television to choose from, and every station shut down at midnight. 
In many ways, I think the 80s were the last great decade. Certainly the last real original one. Everything after that is just a copy or a reinvention of something that came before it. 
So in honor of that iconic era, here is a list of 8 of my favorite 80s memories, and things that I miss. Enjoy...

1. Colorful fashions.




















The 80s were chocked full of color. From clothing, to accessories, to hair and make-up. We weren't afraid to stand out in a crowd. It was a happier time, and it showed. 

2. Fun toys. 




















This was a time before helicopter parenting and mass childhood obesity. Before every toy was banned for being too dangerous. When your toys got you off the couch and moving, instead of encouraging inactivity. 

3. Terribly awesome movies.




















Most of my all time favorite films are from the 1980s. They were bizarre, original, and full of wild adventures and colorful characters. 

4. Cartoons.




















When I was a kid, Saturday mornings meant cartoons. And not just an hour, but several hours worth. And they were quality. They taught us valuable lessons, took us to worlds beyond our imaginations, and the theme songs were clever and catchy. 

5. Scented everything.




















Toys, markers, stickers, and more! Everything smelled wonderful. Seriously, was scent technology invented in the 80s or something? Kids nowadays will just never know the joy of sniffing the purple marker, or the pain of being forced to smell the black or brown ones. 

6. Lip gloss.




















Call me crazy, but lip gloss just hasn't been nearly as good since the 80s. Sure, it has glitter now, which is great, but I haven't felt compelled to eat an entire tub of balm since at least 1991. I'd give my left arm for a classic bottle of strawberry Kissing Potion. To feel the roller ball glide across my lips. Mmm... those really were the days. 

7. Snacks.




















I'm having a hard time even looking at this photo. I literally want to sit down and eat an entire bag of Pizzarias chips and wash them down with 6 Hi-C Ecto Coolers. Can we please bring these delicious treats back? Who do I have to email about this?

8. Cereal.




















I don't even know where to begin on this one. There were just SO many good ones. Sure, they were 98% sugar, but dammit, they were awesome. Not to mention the boxes were always a pleasure to read, and there were toys and prizes in literally every box. Nothing could top the excitement of pouring yourself a bowl, and seeing that plastic bag fall into it. And seeing the looks of pure envy on your siblings' faces was a close second. If we can't have the tasty cereals back, can we at least put some cool shit back in the boxes? I mean damn... give me something here, people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment