Thursday, January 16, 2014

Readers Requests Day 4: Handmade goods and services

Today's topic was inspired by a suggestion from the lovely and talented, Shavavian, who is a loyal reader of mine, and an utterly delightful gal to boot.
She jokingly suggested I do a post of my favorite Etsy shops (wink, wink, she has one) but that got me to thinking... Are people really still unaware of my love for all things handmade? So in honor of artists and crafters everywhere, today's post is about Handmade goods and services. And since Miss Shavavian was my inspiration, it's only fitting that I give her a proper shout out. Click here to check out her stunning creations.

For those of you who may not actually know this, I am obsessed with beautiful, unique things. And what's more unique than one of a kind objects created by hand? The answer is... not very damn much. Handmade gifts go back to the dawn of time, when people created art & jewelry using things found in nature, and inspired by the beauty all around them. Over time, this has become less and less popular, and people are more apt to run to Wal-Mart for a "heartfelt" gift than to make their own. And while I can surely relate to being pressed for time, or not having the skills to create your own masterpieces, that doesn't mean that you can't still give a handmade gift. All over the world, there are immensely talented people, spending countless hours making amazing things. And these people are more than happy to share their pieces and skills with you. With the growing popularity of sites like Etsy, Pinterest, etc, these things are just a click away. From handmade clothing, hats, scarves, purses, and accessories, to all natural soaps, lotions, and more, there are countless ideas and options to choose from. Jewelry, home décor, paintings, sculpture, even local authors and musicians. All of these folks pour their heart and soul into their crafts, and they want to share it with you. And most offer additional services, that you won't find at places like Target. Personalization, customization, packaging, and gift wrapping, just to name a few. Many of which are included in the price. Now yes, some of these things cost a bit more, but as we all know, you get what you pay for. Think about it... That heirloom wooden chest in your grandparents living room has survived for over a century. The quilt your great grandmother made is still as lovely and vibrant as the day she gave it to her daughter. Good, quality pieces are made to last. Can the same be said for that cheap throw you purchased at the store? Or that blender you gave for the last bridal shower? Probably not. Heirlooms are becoming a thing of the past (no pun intended). What treasures will this next generation have to pass on?
I love the growing movement for shopping local, supporting artists, and do it yourself. I hope it continues to flourish, and that more and more people start to consider buying from craft shows, art fairs, and small, independent boutiques. I have so many talented friends, who create remarkable things. I'm blown away by their creations, and the time and effort that go into each piece. Each time I'm gifted with a handmade bounty, I can't wait to show it off to everyone. When I wear and hold these things, I can literally FEEL the love that went into it. When I curl up under the blanket that my great aunt made for me as a baby, I can't help but think of her, and smile at the odd choice of colors, and wonder how she knew that they would suit me perfectly. When I put on the sweater made by my dear friend, I see her smile, and feel her hugging me. Each morning, when I put on the friendship bracelet that my young niece made for me, I can't help but grin, and picture her proud face after she completed it. And any mother who's ever been handed a macaroni bead necklace by their small child, knows the surge of love that hits you, each time you see it in your jewelry box.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here isn't that EVERY gift needs to be handmade, or custom designed, I mean those blenders & gadgets certainly have their place. But arts and crafts are something to keep in mind. Instead of buying that hat or scarf at the store, order a unique one from a knitter. Odds are, you probably know at least one. When it comes time to shop for that baby or wedding gift, consider an heirloom item, instead of yet another wipes warmer or gravy bowl, that she is NEVER going to use anyway. And if you are a creative individual, and you have a skill to offer, think about hosting a party one night, and offer to teach your friends how to make something. Not only will it be a fun experience, but I'm willing to bet it will give them a whole new appreciation for what you actually do.
In this day of instant everything, I'm even more appreciative of the time, dedication, and love that goes into handmade items. Show these talented folks some love, and support them by purchasing their goods. Not only will you get high quality things, but odds are, you will get amazing customer service as well. And the recipient will get a one of a kind gift that shows them just how much you truly care, and something that they can cherish for a lifetime or longer...


Me, and my Berry Favorite Things booth, at a craft fair a few summers back. 

1 comment: