Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Lesson

The Lesson
(What My Grandfather Taught Me)
-Written in June 2003-
 
Of all the things I've learned,
and all that's left to go...
There is one thing that stands out,
one thing we all should know.
This simple fact of life,
is one to keep in mind,
and it is so important,
(good advice is hard to find.)
So here is one big lesson
that I've learned in all my years;
Life is filled with moments,
some with laughter, some with tears.
But if in every moment,
you learn a thing or two,
and take with you those lessons
in all you ever do,
than you can also share
in this secret that I know
that life's too short for sadness,
and some things we can't control.
So try hard not to worry
and never fret or pout,
but live for every moment
and make those moments count!
So smile at every stranger,
and hug all those you meet...
for you never know
when your time here is complete.
So when you leave this Earth
(and let's hope our time is long)
leave behind this lesson
for those who carry on.
For if each life is lived
with faith and hope and love,
than we've all learned this lesson,
sent from up above.
--Dedicated to my "Papa"
Robert Cowdrey
August 4, 1929 - March 4, 2003
By: Teena M. Hauxwell-Finn
 
I wrote this a few months after losing my grandfather, and I recently stumbled upon it in a drawer. I'm amazed at how much alike my son and my grandpa were. They both had such amazing views of the world, and could always see the silver lining. I hope they are together in the Heavens, and I hope I can always do my best to honor the lessons they both taught me. If I can leave behind even a fraction of the joy and beauty that they did, I'll consider it a job well done. So smile, my friends. Find happiness in the little things, cherish each day, and be good to yourselves and one another. Much love...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment