Monday, April 28, 2014

Folk Art Inspired Children's Rocking Chair

I love children's furniture. I think it is so fun to design and decorate. One of my favorite things to make for baby shower gifts is child sized rocking chairs. I had one as a kid, and loved it. I still have it, and while I no longer fit in it, it still makes me smile, and it makes a great heirloom piece.
Since I am not a wood worker, or furniture maker, I have to purchase a ready made chair. After plenty of sanding, nail hole filling, etc. it is ready to paint and decorate. Generally I customize the chair to match the nursery theme, but this time I opted for something a little different. I have always loved the look of folk art, and children's furniture is perfect for that genre of design. The simplicity of the lines/styling of the chair made it great for this. I started with a base color, and I chose a pale yellow for gender neutral purposes. And because I think it is a gorgeous color, and very happy, which I think all things for children and babies should be. After several coats of paint (and more sanding) it was ready to be decorated. I had recently seen an art exhibit where people used yarn to cover entire pieces of furniture, and the look was very interesting and beautiful. And since I love yarn, but am not a needle crafter, this seemed like a great way to be able to work with some. Rather than cover the entire chair, I opted to pick only a few areas to cover instead.






 
This is the completed chair. After wrapping the selected areas with the yarn, I added some fun polka dots to the seat area for whimsy and viola! Simple, yet unique. The colors are happy, and would work for boys and girls, so it could ideally be passed down from one generation to the next. I also made a small pillow to match, so it makes a perfectly comfortable reading spot for a young child.
 

 
Just look how happy George looks.
I think every child should have their own special chair, sized just for them. In a world where everything is so big, and out of reach, this is a little spot where they can feel right at home.
For more information or to inquire about ordering your own chair, email me at berryfavoritethings@gmail.com
or contact me via my facebook page Berry Favorite Things where you can see all my current and past projects, and get great tips and informative information.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment