Wednesday, April 9, 2014

In Need of Some Nature

I grew up outdoors. As a kid, I spent the vast majority of my time playing outside with my siblings and friends. And even when I was reading (which I did A LOT) I did much of that outside as well. Nature is where I feel the best. The smell of the air on a warm Spring day, the feel of the sun on my skin, the sound of a crackling fire on a crisp fall night... Those are things that can't be replaced with any gadget.
If I had to pick my favorite spot, it would be somewhere in nature. You won't find any amusement/theme parks or fancy hotels on my bucket list, but it is overflowing with natural wonders. I want to go to Vegas, but not to gamble. I want to hike in Red Rock Canyon. I want to camp in Yellowstone, see the peak of Mount McKinley on a clear summer day in Alaska, drive Route 66, and stop at all the most scenic places along the way.



The magic and beauty of nature is endless, and ever changing. You can see the same view a thousand times, and find something new each time.
Lately, I've been finding myself yearning more and more for the vast landscape of the outdoors. For the quiet serenity, and the healing strength of the earth. I need to absorb the calmness, and reconnect with that side of myself. I want to pitch a tent, stare up at the stars, and be lulled to sleep by the sounds of crickets, frogs, and something wild in the distance. I want to build a fire, cook my meals over it, and warm my skin in its glow. I want to hike into the forest, with no destination in mind, and lose myself in the wilderness around me. I want to kayak the river, stop for lunch, and play in the cool water. I want to sit quietly and just observe the world around me. No computer, no phone, no TV.


For the last 20 months, I've been functioning on autopilot. Get up, get dressed, make it through the day, go to bed, and repeat. My internal clock is broken, and without a calendar, I couldn't even tell you what day it is most of the time. One 24 hour period just flows into the next, with very little distinction. I get up because my alarm tells me to, and I go to bed not because I'm tired, but because the clock says it's time. Sleep is very hard to come by, and what little I get is broken up by vivid nightmares.
They say that nature has healing powers, and I very strongly believe that to be true. Which means I am long overdue for some...

No comments:

Post a Comment