Friday, February 6, 2015

Product Review: Go Girl (Female Urination Device)

I drink A LOT of water. Which means I pee a lot. But depending on the situation and location, there's not always a convenient place to do your business. 
I love to camp, and also attend several rally races a year. If you've ever done either, you'd know that the bathroom situation can often be a free for all, aside from the occasional Porta-Potty. And for me, using a Porta-Potty is right up there with vaginal exams and math tests on the list of things I want to do. I mean, c'mon. Who designed these things? There is no good way for a female to use one without touching something we'd rather not touch, or peeing on something we'd rather not pee on. You know... like ourselves. It's messy and disgusting on a good day, and down right impossible on a bad day. (Think winter, and several layers.) 
So what can ladies do? Well, as it turns out, there IS a solution. 

TADA! Introducing the Go Girl. It's a female urination device, which is essentially just a fancy name for a piss funnel. Now, there are several brands of these, but after doing some research, I opted for this one. Mostly just because it had the biggest opening at the top, which seemed like a good call on their part. Less margin for error and all. 
It was a whopping $8 (including shipping) and comes in a plastic cylinder for storage. It also came with a plastic baggie and a tissue, which I thought was kind of genius on their part. (Granted, you'll have to remember to replace those after each use.) 



Now, the Go Girl has a few features that I feel compelled to mention. It's made from medical grade silicone, which I assume is a good thing, since medical grade is in the name and all. But considering I've been known to pee into an empty fast food cup in a pinch, it wasn't necessarily a selling point for me. The "unique tip design" I still haven't figured out, but I can tell you this... it did NOT make my pee come out in a fancy cake frosting design, so it was a bit of a letdown. The compact design is a nice perk, since you can roll it up and keep it stored cleanly and discreetly in the cylinder. But the best feature listed here is the mess free edges. I have 3 words for you. No splash back. (Or is splashback one word? Whatever, you get the point.) This lip helps keep your urine where it belongs, which ideally, is not running down your leg. So, from a design and quality perspective, they get an A. 
Now, the part I know you're all most concerned with is function. Well let me tell you... it does work. 
Personally, I always wondered what it would be like to pee standing up. Not hovering, or squatting, but really, truly standing. Well now I know. And... it was weird. First of all, I always assumed my penis would be bigger if I had one. And the stem/wiener on this isn't very long, which is great for storage purposes, but having never stood up to pee before, it made it a tad tricky. You have to stand pretty close, or ideally directly over the toilet. Now, if you're using this outdoors, obviously that's not an issue. 
Once I established the proper distance, the rest was easy. The top of the piss funnel sits nicely against your lady bits, and it's flexible and soft, so there's no scraping or awkward chafing. You can pinch it to open the top up even wider, which is helpful if your stream is being uncooperative. You do have to pay attention to your pace though. If you are packing a lot of pressure, overflowage could pose an issue. So just take your time and enjoy yourself. Maybe find a friend to sword fight with. I hear that's a good time. 
But all in all, I give this product 2 thumbs up. It's cheap, easy to use, and will definitely come in handy from time to time. It is also reusable, so just rinse it out, let it dry, and put it back in the cylinder.
So ladies, if you camp, hike, participate in sports, or just want to be prepared for any situation... I strongly suggest you spend the $8 and get yourself one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment