Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Happy Birthday, Mama Sandy

You know those people that just seem to ooze goodness? From the moment you first meet them, it's obvious that they are as close to perfection as a person can be. Kind, funny, compassionate, genuine, loving, strong, and beautiful inside and out. 
Several years ago, I was lucky enough to meet one of these angelic souls.Her name is Sandy, and I adored her instantly. She was the embodiment of warmth and decency. 
I have no idea why, but (I try not to question it) she seemed to like me as well. We hit it off, and became fast friends. It didn't matter that there was a substantial age difference, or that I was the polar opposite of her, or that I likely sport horns, when she clearly has a halo. She accepted me for who I am, and I am beyond grateful that she did. 
Unbeknownst to either of us, the bond we shared was eventually going to save my life. 
You see, Sandy lost a daughter years before. I learned this very soon after meeting her, and it became a pivotal conversation point for us quite often. She openly shared her story of loss, and was so patient with my countless questions about it. I'd known a few parents who'd lost children, but none who were so willing to talk about it, and wanted people to understand. She moved me. Her strength was an inspiration, and I was blown away by how she survived such a difficult ordeal, and was still so filled with love and humanity. 
I had no idea that those conversations would one day end up being my own personal guidebook through Grief. 
When we lost our son, my husband and I were utterly lost ourselves. The pain is so overwhelming that you can't imagine ever getting through it. 
So often during the first days, weeks, and months after losing Zach, I found myself quoting Sandy. Sharing with my husband things she had told me about her own Grief. I kept picturing her smiling face, and telling myself that we too, could survive this. 
Sandy saved our lives. Without her wisdom, we wouldn't be where we are in our Grief today. Many times, I have called or text her for guidance. I've turned to her to remind me that I'm not crazy, even when it feels like I am. 
She has been my rock. My biggest supporter, and my surrogate mother. 
I'll never be half the woman that Sandy is, but I strive for it nonetheless. 
Too often in this world we idolize celebrities, when there are real inspirations right in front of us. Sandy is my hero. In every sense of the word. 
And today, on her birthday, I want her to know that. Her friendship is a gift to me, and one that I will cherish forever. I love you Mama Sandy. Happy Birthday. 


Look at this stunning woman! She is the definition of grace, 
and one sexy hot mama to boot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment