Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homemade Mac & Cheese! (My version)

Let me start by saying I LOVE macaroni and cheese! Seriously. But I'm not a huge fan of the box ones. (Velveeta Shells & Cheese being the exception.) So I decided I'd roll up my sleeves and make my own. From scratch. Yes, you read that right. The problem was, every recipe I found was made with fancy cheeses or weird sauces. Fancy cheese is great for appetizers, but I like my mac & cheese old school. So... here is my version. It is as basic & easy as can be, but it is DELICIOUS! I'd like to note that this is a comfort food. It is not a healthy recipe, so if you are looking for low fat, fat free, heart healthy, etc. You are going to want to look somewhere else...

Ingredient List:

1/2 box pasta (I use cellentani style, because I like the shape, but any pasta will work.)
1 stick of butter (or margarine)
1 can cheddar soup
Milk (1 can full)
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese (however much you like)
1/2 sleeve of crackers, crushed (I use town house style.)

Start by cooking your pasta per package instructions.
While pasta is cooking, in a large bowl, mix your soup, milk, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and stick of butter (melted).
Make sure it is blended very well. Once pasta is cooked and drained, put it back into the hot pan & pour your soup mix over top. Stir it together very well & pour it into a 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle a generous helping of the shredded cheddar cheese on top, followed by your crushed crackers. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted & begins to brown.
This is very creamy & the crushed crackers add a nice buttery crunch. Serves at least 4.
**Try using broccoli cheddar soup instead, along with added veggies for a different twist. Or add chicken or beef for a casserole style meal. There is no wrong way to make this, so feel free to mix it up. It's your dinner, make it how you want it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment