Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplings!

This is a recipe I found on Pinterest, but made very minor changes to. I never follow a recipe exactly, but this one is as close as I've ever come. :)
It's another 5 ingredient dinner, which I love, but also a Crock Potter, which I LOVE! Cost for this meal is less than $10 and would feed a family of 4. Because it's made in the crock pot, it's a great dinner for working parents.

Ingredient List:

1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can of biscuits
2 Tbsp butter or margarine

**I added diced onion, sea salt & pepper, also. Feel free to add veggies or any seasonings you prefer.

Place chicken, soup, butter and seasonings into the crock pot, blend together well. Add water until chicken is well covered. It will cook down, so don't worry if it seems thin/watery. 
I added my chicken frozen, so if you forgot to thaw it out the night before, no worries. Cook on High setting for a minimum of 5 hours. If you work and are worried about leaving it for more than 6 hours, use the Low setting and it will be just fine.

About an hour or so before you are ready to eat, open your can of biscuits & tear them into chunks. (I tore mine in half, because I like my dumplings a little bigger.) They will fluff up as they are cooking, so keep that in mind. Toss them into the crock pot, stir the mixture to get your biscuit chunks well covered so that they absorb the juices for better flavor. Put the lid back on and if you haven't already, I recommend adjusting your heat setting to Low. In about 45 minutes to an hour your meal will be ready to eat. (I left my dumplings in for about an hour and a half & they were perfect, but some people prefer them a bit less done. This is entirely up to you.)



Your finished meal should look something like this.
This is one of the BEST chicken & dumpling recipes I've ever tried and by far the easiest. Having been raised in a southern cooking family, I am a bit fussy when it comes to my favorite comfort foods, and I give this dish 4 stars. My hubby also loved this and he's not even much of a chicken & dumplings fan. (Had I known this earlier in the relationship, I might have reconsidered. I mean who doesn't like C & D?)
This is also a great meal to make in larger quantities for family gatherings and parties. Just double or triple the ingredients and you are good to go. So try this one out today & I guarantee you will be adding it to your family's meal rotation. Enjoy! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment