Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Make your own crayons!

These were so easy & fun to make, I can't wait to make them again. All you need are old crayons and a muffin pan. I used paper baking cups, to protect my pan (and I liked the textured edges) but not all the directions I read called for it.
Start by removing the paper wrappers from your crayons. This is the worst part, but because I didn't have any kid helpers, I used a utility knife to speed up the process. Once you have finished stripping your crayons, decide what colors you want to mix. I chose to stick with color families. (Purples, reds/pinks, greens, etc.) Then break your crayons into pieces & fill the cups. Do not overfill.
Place pan into preheated 250 degree oven for about 10 minutes (give or take) or until melted. I took a toothpick to mine to swirl the colors & removed them before they were 100% liquified, but you can let yours fully melt, that is up to you. They cool pretty quickly & easy peel away from the paper baking cups. A little clean up on the edges to make them pretty and you are ready to color.
Great kids project. Have a Valentine's party coming up? Make heart shaped ones to give to the kids instead of candy. I plan on buying some fun molds for the next time I make them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment