Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Who Am I To Judge?

I spend some time online. (OK, I spend a lot of time online.) And I am constantly amazed by how often I see people openly judging and criticizing others. Especially strangers. Now don't get me wrong, you see this a lot everyday if you spend enough time around people. I worked with the public for MANY years, and I saw a great deal of it. But I think people certainly do it more from the safety of their keyboards and smart phones. 
Before I go any further, let me point out that I am not referring to the occasional joke or smart ass remark. We ALL do this from time to time. I am talking about those people who constantly stereotype, insult and blame others. We've all seen these types of posts. Whether on facebook or twitter, or comments on blogs, videos and articles online. 
I just don't get it. So because one republican or democrat said or did something you disagree with, they are all idiots? Oh, you heard that some Mexicans are illegal citizens, so you think they all must be? All white people are racists, is about as true as all black people are criminals. Gays and women shouldn't be in the military? I'm sorry, I didn't realize that sexual preference or having a vagina had anything to do with patriotism and courage. Asians are all terrible drivers? Have you SEEN a drift event? I could go on forever, but the point is, that stereotypes are ignorant. Are some of them true? Sure. There are always going to be people who fit stereotypes. That is why they exist. But they certainly don't fit every person in every category. Take myself for example. For starters, I am Irish. Do I enjoy a drink from time to time? Yes. But guess what? I'm not an alcoholic. Also, my family hails from West Virginia. Like, backwoods WV. Am I an ignorant redneck? Hardly. AND... I have all my own teeth! (Shocking, I know.) Stereotypes can be humorous from time to time, because there will always be some truths behind them, and we can ALL relate to some of them. We may even fit into a few. I will admit to using duct tape to repair some things from time to time. Granted, I prefer Hello Kitty duct tape, so I must be an Asian hillbilly, right? 
I guess what I am getting at is that I don't understand this level of ignorance. When did it become acceptable to publicly bash an entire group of people over the ignorance of one or a few? What happened to "Only God can judge." folks? And for the love of everything Holy, can we stop using religion as an excuse to hate??!! I may not be religious, and I'm not sure if God exists, but I can tell you this much, if he is as hateful, condemning and cruel as some people make him out to be, I don't want any part of it. Groups like Westboro Baptist Church must be worshiping the Devil, since their God hates practically everyone.
Come on people. It is 2013. We have come so far in so many ways, yet we continue to hold ourselves back with ignorance and hate. Racism is disgusting. Period. Judging someone on the color of their skin makes you an idiot, plain and simple. And are we honestly still living in a society where people don't believe women are equal? Women are doctors, scientists, sports stars, mechanics, plumbers, police officers and more. And they do them all just as well as men. Let's just get over that already, shall we? And don't get me started on all the hatred towards gays. So you are judging someone based solely on their sexual preferences? I gotta be honest here, I think about sex A LOT, yet I rarely meet someone and think "Gee, I wonder what they do in their bedroom." For starters, it's none of my business. Not to mention, I think if you are spending that much time thinking about someone else's sex life, YOU may be the one with the issue. There are straight people who dress up in furry costumes, tie each other up, ride their partner around like ponies, fantasize about children and more, yet they are considered the "normal" ones. Really?? How messed up is that? Gays shouldn't get married, because it will "ruin the sanctity of marriage"? Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. What sanctity were you referring to again? Celebrities can get married and divorced faster than I can say "Kiss the Bride" and that is just dandy. But a gay couple who has been together (happily and successfully) for years, being allowed to get married, is inconceivable? You do realize just how dumb that sounds, right?
Wake up, folks. We reap what we sow. Do you want to live in a world filled with hate and judgement? There is enough ugly and evil in this world already that is out of our control, so why not do better with the things we CAN control? Teach your children acceptance, understanding, empathy and love. We don't hesitate to recycle, because we want to save our planet for our children. We want them to have a beautiful world to live in, right? Well let's make it as beautiful to live in, as it is to look at. So stop hating and judging things and people we don't understand. Ask questions, learn and be open to the possibility that people may surprise you. 
"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."

No comments:

Post a Comment